Women’s golf finishes ninth at Magnolia Invitational

Freshman Jacque Galloway led the Hawkeyes in individual scoring over the weekend in Starkville.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa head coach Megan Menzel talks to Manuela Lizarazu during the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine Golf Course on Sep. 30th, 2018. The Hawkeyes placed 1st overall.

Cassandra Buchholz, Sports Reporter

The Iowa women’s golf team finished in ninth place out of 11 teams over the weekend at the Magnolia Invitational in Starkville, Mississippi. Louisiana State finished first at the event, with Mississippi State and Auburn coming in second and third, respectfully.

Freshman Jacque Galloway, native of Rio Rancho, New Mexico, led the Hawkeyes with a three-round carded score of 217 (+1) over the three-day tournament. The score put Galloway in eighth place overall.

Freshman Lea Zeitler shot 223 (+7) over the weekend, finishing in 22nd place. Zeitler’s best play came during the final round, scoring a three-under-par with a 69 on Tuesday.

Other Iowa contenders included sophomore Manuela Lizarazu carding a 232 (+16) with a tournament-best 74 during the second round. Sophomore Dana Lerner shot a 236 (+20) over three rounds, and freshman Morgan Goldstein carded a 247 (+31) in her collegiate debut.

Iowa City native Sarah Overton competed independently in Starkville, finishing 53rd and shooting a 240 (+24).

RELATED: Iowa men’s golf finishes third out of 14 teams at Fighting Irish Classic

The Hawkeyes placed sixth in pars (161), tenth in birdies (25), and was one of four teams to record an eagle through the weekend.

Iowa completes its fall season on Nov. 1, where it will travel to San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico, to compete in the Battle at the Beach Tournament, hosted by Texas Christian University.