One-on-one with Iowa tight end Nate Wieting

Daily Iowan Pregame Editor Pete Ruden caught up with Hawkeye tight end Nate Wieting to gather his thoughts on baseball, fast food, and his childhood.

Katie Goodale

Tight end Nate Wieting stands during Iowa football vs. Miami (Ohio) at Kinnick Stadium on Aug. 31, 2019. Iowa defeated the Miami (Ohio) 38-14.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

The Daily Iowan: If you had a track 4×100-meter relay with your teammates, who would be on it?
Nate Wieting: Back in high school, we did the throwers’ relay, so I’d take the four biggest guys on the team. I’d take Wirfs, Big A.J., and probably both Paulsens, and that’d be my 4×1 team. I don’t think we’d be very good or very competitive, but that’s the team I’m going with.

DI: If you could be any animal for a week, what would it be?
Wieting: That’s a good question. I’d probably take some kind of grizzly bear or something in the mountains. Fishing in streams for salmon, climbing trees, doing the whole nine yards. I think that’d be a good time. Maybe hibernate for a little bit.

DI: Who’s the best pure athlete on the team?
Wieting: I heard Kaevon Merriweather’s pretty dang good at basketball, too. I’d have to go with Kaevon. I think being able to play safety at a Big Ten level, and then a bunch of guys on the team said have also said he can play basketball pretty well, so I’ll give that nod to Kaevon.

DI: You guys are a Powerade program. What’s better, Gatorade or Powerade?
Wieting: I like Powerade better. I like the grape and lemon lime flavors the best. I don’t really like cool blue Gatorade, so I think that’s where it falls off for me.

DI: If you could only drink one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Wieting: Grape Powerade’s up there. I’m a big fan of cold grape Powerade. Chocolate milk, big fan. Probably either one of those two things.

DI: If you could go pro in a sport other than football, what would you choose?
Wieting: I’m a huge baseball fan. I didn’t play in high school and I wouldn’t say I was very good, but I think it would be awesome to play Major League Baseball.

DI: Who’s your favorite team?
Wieting: I like the Milwaukee Brewers.

DI: What’s the best fast food restaurant around?
Wieting: I’m a big Chick-fil-A fan.

DI: What’s your favorite childhood memory?

Wieting: My brother and I had a couple neighbors that we used to play backyard football with. We’d go out there in the snow and just get after it for hours on end. Rain or sun, daytime, nighttime.

DI: Who’s the best video game player on the team?
Wieting: Brady Ross is the best Madden player. Alaric Jackson is up there. I’d say probably those two guys.

DI: Is water wet?
Wieting: Yes.