UISG, GPSG pass resolution, recognize centennial

On Tuesday night, UISG and GPSG passed a resolution to recognize the organization’s centennial. The marking of this major milestone came with heavy support from both sides of UI’s student government.

Emily Wangen

UISG President Noel Mills addresses a joint session of UISG and GPSG on Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2019. The two student governance bodies met to vote on three joint resolutions, which passed unanimously.

Eleanor Hildebrandt, News Reporter

The Daily Iowan first wrote about University of Iowa Student Government in October 1909 when the Zetagathian Society, which is now the UI Debate Team, first debated the idea.

A decade later on Nov. 12, 1919, the DI printed a seven-part “Provisional Constitution For Elections in All Colleges,” outlining the instructions for the future and creating the student council that has evolved into UISG and the Graduate and Professional Student Government.

A day later the DI wrote about the UI students elected to be the first members of the student council. The initiative was led by two senior honor societies, the Staff and Circle for women, and A.F.I for men. These groups were also the ones that took up writing the new organization’s constitution.

UISG continues to utilize Article II of this constitution today to outline the goals of the student organization to cooperate with the administration, promote student welfare, and promote a greater union among the student body.

On Tuesday night, senators passed a resolution to acknowledge this anniversary and discussed all of the important initiatives the student government on campus has created or influenced over the years. 

In UISG President Noel Mills’ opening address, she discussed how the university’s system is different and why that is so important. 

“Students, faculty, and staff are the backbone of this university,” she said. “I have connected with student body presidents from across the nation. They don’t get to sit down with the president of their universities to discuss student issues or help select top administrators, and they certainly don’t get to vote on where their tuition dollars go. This commitment to shared governance is critical to our success in student governance, a roll we have played for the last 100 years.”

UISG, as well as the Graduate and Professional Student Government, officially turn 100 on Nov. 12  and are working together to acknowledge the significant changes the organizations have made to improve student life on campus. 

At-large Senator Amna Haider said this resolution recognizes the hard work put in over the last century. 

“UISG’s work has been critical to University of Iowa students and allowed them to thrive in their individual studies, identities, and involvements,” Haider said. “UISG has contributed in the raising of Hawkeyes’ voices to change campus, city, state, and even national issues.”

Speaker of the Senate Elli Lenz said in an email to The Daily Iowan that this resolution is solely to stand in support of the work that UISG has accomplished and wants to do.

“UISG is not planning on hosting a formal event, because we believe there are more pressing needs on campus and better ways to allocate student dollars right now,” she said.

Originally, the university’s student council was created with three main positions: president, vice president, and secretary. There was also a stipulation made for any other members the council saw fit to elect. 

Today, that isn’t nearly representative of all of the positions there are in UISG, including a 22-person executive team, a 33-person legislative team, and a three -person judicial team. 

At last night’s UISG meeting, senators said this resolution was crucial in recognizing this organization. 

“This marks a huge milestone in [UISG]. It’s really a time for us to celebrate a major checkpoint in the history of our organization and acknowledge how it has created significant change,” at-large senator Jason Kerst said.