Week 3 halftime reactions — Iowa vs. Iowa State

The Hawkeyes made a big play on defense to stay within striking distance, but Iowa’s offense hasn’t mustered much.

Iowa+quarterback+Nate+Stanley+carries+the+ball+during+a+football+game+between+Iowa+and+Iowa+State+at+Jack+Trice+Stadium+in+Ames+on+Saturday%2C+September+14%2C+2019.+

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley carries the ball during a football game between Iowa and Iowa State at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames on Saturday, September 14, 2019.

Pete Ruden and Robert Read

Fumble keeps Hawkeyes in game

With the Cyclones holding a 7-3 lead and driving down the field again, Iowa’s defense needed to make a big play. That’s exactly what it did.

Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy — who had been leading the Cyclones with his efficiency through the air and on the ground — fumbled on Iowa’s 30-yard line after getting hit by Iowa strong safety Geno Stone. Hawkeye free safety Jack Koerner recovered to keep the Cyclones from extending their lead.

Another touchdown would have made it a two-possession game and taken the air out of the Hawkeyes. But Iowa made the play it needed to make.

In a defensive battle, the Hawkeyes have held the Cyclones to just 48 yards on the ground in the first half. Going into the break facing only a 1-point deficit, Iowa’s right where it needs to be.

-Pete Ruden

Iowa offense manages only field goals in first half

Iowa got off to a quick start against the rival Cyclones, marching 68 yards on 15 plays on the game’s opening possession. However, the Hawkeyes would get only 3 points on the possession after opting for a field goal on a fourth-and-1 from the Iowa State 7-yard line.

On their next three drives, the Hawkeyes would gain only 38 yards and punt three times. Two of those three drives ended in three-and-outs, while the other drive concluded at the 50-yard line.

To close the half, Iowa put another drive together on offense, moving the ball in a similar fashion to the opening drive of the game. The Hawkeyes traveled 59 yards on 12 plays to sink another field goal and bring the score at the half to 7-6.

Two hours and 55 minutes worth of delays will likely destroy any sort of momentum an offense starts to build throughout a game, but finishing off drives with touchdowns instead of field goals will be pivotal for Iowa in the second half.

-Robert Read

Twitter reactions