Week 1 halftime reactions — Iowa vs. Miami (Ohio)

The Hawkeyes lead Miami (Ohio), 10-7, after one half of football.

Iowa+running+back+Mekhi+Sargent+runs+the+ball+during+the+football+game+against+Miami+%28Ohio%29+at+Kinnick+Stadium+on+Saturday%2C+August+31%2C+2019.+

Katina Zentz

Iowa running back Mekhi Sargent runs the ball during the football game against Miami (Ohio) at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, August 31, 2019.

Pete Ruden and Robert Read

Hawkeye running backs keep rolling

Heading into halftime with a 10-3 lead, it’s clear this isn’t how Iowa wanted to start its season.

It embarked on a nice drive to kick off the game, but it stalled out after the Hawkeyes went for it on fourth in Miami territory and didn’t get it.

Iowa then got inside the 5-yard line but settled for a field goal to take a 3-0 lead. After that, the Hawkeyes found themselves on the outside looking in when the RedHawks took a 7-0 lead on a perfect throw and catch on a fade from 11 yards out.

Although it’s still a close game, Iowa has consistently found production from its running backs. Three players have broken off a run of 12 yards or more, as the Hawkeyes head into the break averaging five yards per carry.

Mekhi Sargent, in particular, has been exceptionally impressive. The junior Key West, Florida, picked up 47 yards on 7 carries in the first half and has made himself available in the passing game as well with 3 receptions for 55 yards, including a 41-yard gain on a screen pass to set up Iowa’s lone touchdown.

He also almost broke off a big run that could have gone for six, but he was stopped on a shoestring tackle by former Hawkeye cornerback Manny Rugamba.

Even Nate Stanley got in on the ground game, taking a bootleg 16 yards for the longest run of his career. Toren Young has been solid, as well, posting 36 yards on 6 carries.

-Pete Ruden

Epenesa brings little impact

The first half of the 2019-20 football season was a quiet one for preseason All-American A.J. Epenesa.

Epenesa was obviously a point of emphasis for Miami (Ohio) during preparation for the game, as he had no breathing room over the course of the half.

The RedHawks, on some plays, are dedicating the entire left side of the offensive line to the standout junior defensive end, who has made only 1 tackle and a pass breakup through 30 minutes of game time.

Whether it be the left tackle, left guard, tight end, or someone in the backfield, Miami head coach Chuck Martin is making sure Epenesa’s hands stay off of quarterback Brett Gabbert.

Despite the attention Epenesa has drawn from the offense, the rest of the Hawkeye defense has yet to take full advantage.

Iowa does not have a sack or tackle for loss through one half of play. The defense has also registered no hits ono Gabbert, allowing him to go 9-12 for 102 yards and a touchdown through the air.

The Hawkeyes only gave up a total of 140 yards and 7 points in the first half to Miami, but with such a dangerous defensive line — led by Epenesa — getting to the quarterback in the second half could put the game away.

-Robert Read

Twitter reactions