Iowa football topples Miami (Ohio) in season-opener, 38-14

After a tight first half, the Hawkeyes opened it up in the second to take down the RedHawks.

Iowa+wide+receiver+Brandon+Smith+catches+a+pass+out+of+bounds+during+the+football+game+against+Miami+%28Ohio%29+at+Kinnick+Stadium+on+Saturday%2C+August+31%2C+2019.+

Katina Zentz

Iowa wide receiver Brandon Smith catches a pass out of bounds during the football game against Miami (Ohio) at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, August 31, 2019.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

After a rough first half that yielded only a three-point advantage for Iowa, the Hawkeyes picked it up in the second to secure a 38-14 victory over Miami (Ohio) to open the season.

The second half included plenty of things offensively to lift the hopes of Iowa fans, including an Oliver Martin touchdown, multiple Nate Stanley scores, and a Tyler Goodson sighting at running back.

The negatives made their way into the game, however. Offensive tackle Alaric Jackson injured his knee and went back to the locker room on crutches without returning.

It was a bad omen, as the negatives continued to lurk on the field for most of the first half.

Iowa found multiple chances to put the ball in the end zone in the first half but stalled out multiple times. The Hawkeyes managed a Keith Duncan field goal in the first quarter before Brandon Smith caught a 9-yard fade in the end zone that was set up by a 41-yard reception by Mekhi Sargent.

Despite entering halftime with a 10-7 lead, things only got better for the Hawkeyes.

With 10:06 remaining in the third quarter, Martin recorded his first reception and touchdown for the Black and Gold on another 9-yard fade.

The score ignited the Kinnick night crowd, and Iowa responded with another score, this time from Mekhi Sargent from two yards out.

The RedHawks found the end zone for the second time shortly after — an Andrew Homer reception from Brett Gabbert — to cut Iowa’s lead to 10, but that’s as close as they would get.

Iowa found plenty of success on the ground, mostly from Sargent. The Key West, Florida, native gained 91 yards and a touchdown rushing on 14 carries.

He also made his presence felt through the air, hauling in four passes for 65 yards.

Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley posted a clean stat line in the opener as well, going 21-for-30 for 252 yards and 3 touchdowns.