Woody, DiIanni, Stith receive contract extensions

Joey Woody, Dave DiIanni, and Tyler Stith will stay in Iowa City through June 30, 2024.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben A

Iowa head coach Joey Woody holds the trophy for first place after the 2018 Drake Relays at Drake Stadium in Des Moines, Iowa on Saturday, April 28, 2018. Iowa placed first in the meet.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa Director of Track and Field/Cross-Country Joey Woody, soccer head coach Dave DiIanni, and men’s golf head coach Tyler Stith have signed five-year contract extensions, Athletics Director Gary Barta announced July 31.

The deals keep the coaches — who will all enter their sixth season with the Hawkeyes — on staff through June 30, 2024.

“Dave, Tyler, and Joey have advanced their programs in all three phases of Win. Graduate. Do It Right,” Barta said in a release. “Their student-athletes and teams have enjoyed success in competition and are succeeding in the classroom and in the community. I am grateful for their efforts and appreciate their continued dedication to Iowa Hawkeye athletics.”

Woody is coming off a successful season in which the Hawkeye men’s track team took home a Big Ten title and women’s track thrower Laulauga Tausaga won a national title in the discus.

Woody earned Big Ten Coach of the Year honors as well as Midwest Region Coach of the Year.

He has led Hawkeyes to 137 All American honors, 35 individual Big Ten titles, 10 relay titles, a men’s Big Ten team title, and an NCAA title.

“It is an honor to be a part of this university,” Woody said in a release. “I am committed to providing the very best for our student-athletes and coaches, and I want to thank Gary Barta and [Senior Associate AD, Revenue and External Relations] Matt Henderson for their continued support in building a championship program.”

DiIanni has won 46 games and advanced to two Big Ten Tournaments in his five years with Iowa.

Five Hawkeyes have picked up All-Big Ten honors, and three have earned all-region recognition with DiIanni at the helm.

Kaleigh Haus and Hannah Drkulec also became the program’s first two academic All-Americans, and the team won a United Soccer Team Academic Award in each of DiIanni’s seasons.

“I want to thank Matt Henderson and Gary Barta for their continued belief in me and the direction of our program,” DiIanni said. “I am fortunate to be surrounded by great people. Our program’s success is dependent upon the outstanding efforts of our student-athletes, assistant coaches, and entire support staff. This is an exciting time for Iowa soccer.”

Stith has led the Hawkeye men’s golf team to four top-four finishes at the Big Ten Championships, advancing to four NCAA regionals in the process. Iowa has tallied at least three top-three tournament finishes in each of his seasons.

Stith guided Iowa to five top-five finishes last season, including a gold medal at the Hawkeye Invitational April 20-21 with a school-record 809 (43-under), shattering the previous mark by 24 strokes.

Alex Schaake also earned Big Ten Golfer of the Year honors under Stith’s watch.

“I want to thank Director of Athletics Gary Barta and Senior Associate Athletics Director Marcus Wilson for their continued support,” Stith said in a release. “It is a privilege to serve our student-athletes, alumni, fans, and the great state of Iowa.”