Gustafson comments on release from Dallas Wings in blog post

Megan Gustafson was released by the Dallas Wings earlier this week, but she seems confident in her next step.

Forward+Megan+Gustafson+goes+in+for+a+lay-up+during+womens+basketball+against+Northwestern+in+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+March+3%2C+2019.+Iowa+defeated+Northwestern+74-50.+

Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan

Forward Megan Gustafson goes in for a lay-up during women’s basketball against Northwestern in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on March 3, 2019. Iowa defeated Northwestern 74-50.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

After getting waived by the Dallas Wings on Wednesday, Megan Gustafson seems confident in her next step in professional basketball.

The former Hawkeye star tweeted out the launch of her new blog called “She’s Got Faith”  in which she commented on being released in her first post.

“Upon getting drafted as the 17th overall pick to the Dallas Wings in early April, I spent the first three weeks of May in training camp working as hard as I possibly could to try and earn a spot on the opening night roster,” Gustafson wrote. “Even though being in the WNBA has been a dream of mine since I was little, I can truly say that it was one of the hardest experiences that I have ever had to go through.”

She described some challenges she faced in making the adjustment from life dominating the Carver-Hawkeye court.

“Not knowing what will happen the next day, competing in a different and new position than what I was used to in college, and trying to keep my family and friends in the loop with how I thought things were going were just some of the things that I was trying to balance,” Gustafson wrote. “I know that this not only took a toll on myself physically, mentally, and emotionally, but I also know that my family shared in those last two aspects 100%…”

Gustafson’s blog has taken on a faith angle, which she said has helped her deal with being waived.

“To say that I am devastated is a big understatement, but I can also confirm that this has lit a new fire in me like NEVER before,” she wrote. “I learned and improved so much in training camp, and I look forward to using this as motivation.”

Gustafson averaged 2.6 and 3.0 rebounds in preseason play for the Wings.

News of the Wings waiving Gustafson came as a shock to Iowa fans, who swiftly took to social media to support the Hawkeye hoops star. 

On Friday, the official Twitter account for The Basketball Tournament encouraged hoops teams to carve out a space for Gustafson on their tournament squad.

In her collegiate career, Gustafson earned numerous honors including the Naismith Player of the Year and AP Player of the Year last season.

Now, she will await her next opportunity in the professional ranks.