Iowa basketball’s Tyler Cook declares for the NBA Draft

On Friday, the junior forward announced his plans for the future.

Iowa forward Tyler Cook drives the ball during the NCAA game against Cincinnati at Nationwide Arena on Friday, March 22, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Bearcats 79-72.

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

On Friday, Iowa basketball forward Tyler Cook announced his decision to enter the 2019 NBA Draft.

“What a ride! These past three years have been arguably the most important of my life,” Cook said in a release. “Going through what we did as a team allowed me to learn more than I can put into words. This year my teammates and coaches challenged each other to simply be better, and we did that. Although we feel we could have been playing longer, we achieved our goal of getting this program back to the NCAA Tournament. I’m honored that I was able to be a part of that. 

“After weighing my options both last year and now, my family and I, along with the help of my coaches, have decided to enter the 2019 NBA Draft and hire an agent. This has been my lifelong dream. I am excited and ready to take on the challenge of making these dreams come to fruition. I want to thank each and every person who has supported me throughout my time at the University of Iowa.”

Cook posted career averages of 14.1 points, 6.7 rebounds, and 1.8 assists per game on 54.2 percent shooting. In his three seasons, he totaled 1,315 points and 619 rebounds. Cook is just one of nine Hawkeyes to total more than 1,300 points and 600 rebounds.

During his junior season, Cook averaged 14.5 points per game. He posted career averages in rebounds (7.6) and assists (2.4). His scoring and rebounding led the team this past season.

The media named Cook a second-team All-American this .season. The St. Louis native also earned all-district accolades by the NABC and USBWA.

“We fully support Tyler’s decision to pursue his professional goals,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a release. “It has been an honor to coach Tyler the past three years and watch him develop both as a player and person. We are thankful for Tyler’s significant contributions that he has made to our basketball program. My staff and I look forward to supporting Tyler in the next steps of his journey.”

The NBA Draft is on June 20. NBADraft.net projects Cook going to the Philadelphia 76ers with the 44th pick in the draft.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Twitter: @A_Hens83

Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men's basketball, and...

• Iowa basketball’s Tyler Cook declares for the NBA Draft

Baseball

Iowa baseball swept by Maryland

• Latest News

Photos: 2020 candidate Pete Buttigieg swings through Iowa City

In Iowa City campaign stop, Buttigieg says ‘we’ve got to win’ to decide America’s long-term future

Stewart signs pro contract in Australia

Epenesa earns spot on Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List

Official Hawkeye football Twitter account suspended

2020 candidate Pete Buttigieg to visit Iowa City on Saturday

Baseball

Iowa baseball falls short at Maryland despite late rally

Moss to transfer to Arkansas

University of Iowa pays Modern Piping for Children’s Hospital dispute