Megan Gustafson inspires Iowa girls to perform Mikan Drill

After the NCAA Women’s Basketball Twitter account tweeted a video of Megan Gustafson doing the Mikan Drill, girls around Iowa started emulating her.

Roman Slabach

Iowa center Megan Gustafson (10) attempts a shot during the Iowa/Missouri NCAA Tournament second round women’s basketball game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa on Sunday, March 24, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Tigers 68-52.

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

Around the time of tip-off for the Iowa women’s second-round NCAA Tournament game against Missouri, the NCAA Women’s Basketball Twitter account tweeted a video of Megan Gustafson doing the Mikan Drill.

Social media ate it up.

It’s not hard to see why. The drill is traditionally performed with one ball, yet Gustafson makes her two-handed rendition seem as easy as arm stretches.

Her ability to make the tough drill look easy inspired some rather funny attempts by fans.

However, Gustafson’s impact reached more than just fans; she was able to reach aspiring basketball players who may one day grow up to be the next Gustafson.

“As a coach, when you see kids leaving the arena wanting to ‘Be like Mike’ they want to be like Megan,” Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said. “That’s the impact. That’s what you want.”

For Bluder, seeing the videos of future Hawkeye hopefuls wanting to emulate Gustafson helps fulfill a vision Bluder has had for the program since she took over.

“That’s the stuff that chocks you up,” Bluder said. “When I took this job 19 years ago, I wanted every little girl in this state to grow up dreaming of being a Hawkeye. I think we have girls and boys dreaming of being Hawkeyes because of Megan’s influence.”

Gustafson’s masterful ability with the Mikan drill has even prompted Iowa associate head coach Jan Jensen to consider renaming the ‘Mikan Drill’ to the ‘Megan Drill.’

The breadth of Gustafson’s impact is not lost on the humble Hawkeye.

“There’s been quite a few videos of people doing that drill,” Gustafson said. “Honestly, its been amazing just to see what I’ve been able to do. All I’ve ever wanted to do is be a positive influence on people and inspire people and helping them see that they can dream big. Honestly, its really exciting to see it and hopefully it keeps going.”

Iowa will travel to Greensboro, North Carolina, as it gets set to take on NC State Saturday at 10:30 a.m. The game will be aired on ESPN.