VP Mike Pence joins Gov. Kim Reynolds as flooding in the midwest continues

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds joined Vice President Mike Pence in Nebraska on Tuesday to survey flood damage. Reynolds has issued a state of emergency for 41 Iowa counties.

Vice President Mike Pence listens to a briefing by acting Border Patrol Chief Carla Provost at the El Centro Border Patrol station in San Diego on April 30, 2018. (Alejandro Tamayo/Diego Union-Tribune/TNS)

Julia Shanahan, Politics Reporter

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds joined Vice President Mike Pence on Tuesday to visit those affected by major flooding in Nebraska. Western Iowa counties were also hit hard by the flooding.

Reynolds issued a disaster proclamation on March 13 and activated Iowa’s State Emergency Operation Center to respond to damage done by the flooding. Since March 13, Reynolds has issued a state of emergency for 41 counties in Iowa.

President Donald Trump tweeted on Tuesday that U.S. officials are keeping in close contact with Reynolds and local officials managing the floods as the damage continues.

Reynolds held a press conference in Des Moines on Tuesday to address the severe weather, and said that the damage she saw from the flooding was like nothing she had ever seen, according to the Des Moines Register.

Heidi Carter, Democratic county chair of Page County, said that while Fremont county was one of the hardest hit in Iowa, her and members of her county have been pouring out support for their local flood center and shelter.

“…I have been getting great feedback from Democrats and Republicans alike who want to help,” Carter said.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders announced in a tweet that Pence would be visiting flood damage on behalf of a request by President Donald Trump.