Gustafson earns Big Ten Player of the Year

Megan Gustafson became the first Hawkeye to win Big Ten Player of the Year twice on Monday.

Iowa+center+Megan+Gustafson+celebrates+after+drawing+a+foul+while+making+a+basket+during+an+Iowa%2FPurdue+womens+basketball+game+in+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Saturday%2C+Jan.+13%2C+2018.+The+Boilermakers+defeated+the+Hawkeyes%2C+76-70.+

Joseph Cress

Iowa center Megan Gustafson celebrates after drawing a foul while making a basket during an Iowa/Purdue women’s basketball game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes, 76-70.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Megan Gustafson won her second Big Ten Player of the Year award on Monday, becoming the only Hawkeye in program history to earn the honor twice.

Gustafson also picked up unanimous first team All-Big Ten honors from the conference’s media and coaches and was named to the All-Defensive team by the coaches for the first time in her career.

In addition to Gustafson’s awards, Kathleen Doyle racked up first team All-Big Ten honors from the coaches and was tabbed second-teamer by the media. Tania Davis also joined the pair, earning honorable mention All-Big Ten honors. Hannah Stewart was honored with Iowa’s Sportsmanship Award.

Gustason is the fifth player in Iowa history to win Big Ten Player of the Year.

The Port Wing, Wisconsin, native led the nation with 27.7 points per game, a field-goal percentage of 70.8, and ranked fourth with 13.3 rebounds per game. She also finished second in the country with 27 double-doubles.

In conference play, Gustafson proved to be just as effective. She averaged 28.4 points and 13.8 boards per game while shooting 68.7 percent from the floor in 18 games. Gustafson dropped at least 20 points in 17 of Iowa’s contests, scoring at least 30 in seven. She also pulled down at least 10 rebounds 17 times.

Doyle’s Big Ten recognition marked the second honor of her career. She led the Big Ten in conference play with 6.3 assists to go along with 12.9 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 2.3 steals.

Davis notched the first Big Ten honor of her career this season after averaging 10.4 points, 4.6 assists, and 3.6 rebounds in conference play.

The Hawkeyes will continue their season in the Big Ten Tournament on Friday, playing the winner of Thursday’s Minnesota-Indiana matchup.