Wieskamp named Big Ten Freshman of the Week

Joe Wieskamp averaged 17 points and 6 rebounds over Iowa’s last two games to earn Big Ten recognition.

Iowa+guard+Joe+Wieskamp+attempts+a+shot+during+the+Iowa%2FIllinois+mens+basketball+game+at+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Sunday%2C+January+20%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Fighting+Illini%2C+95-71.+

Lily Smith

Iowa guard Joe Wieskamp attempts a shot during the Iowa/Illinois men’s basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, January 20, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini, 95-71.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa forward Joe Wieskamp earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors, the conference announced Monday.

Wieskamp led the Hawkeyes to wins over Penn State and Illinois over the past week, but it was his performance against the Illini that went into the record books.

Wieskamp finished the game with 24 points on 8-of-8 shooting, including a 6-of-6 mark from 3-point range, tying the program record for 3-point percentage in a game.

He is the first Hawkeye to go 6-of-6 from deep since Jeff Horner accomplished the feat against Penn State in 2004. Jim Bartels also reached that mark at Ohio State in 1995.

Wieskamp is just the third Big Ten freshman to go 6-of-6 from beyond the arc in the past 10 seasons, joining Michigan’s Nik Stauskas and Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell.

Along with grabbing 5 rebounds and dishing out 3 assists, Wieskamp’s shooting helped Iowa to a Carver-Hawkeye record, as the team shot 68 percent from the field in the 95-71 win.

Wieskamp also posted 10 points in Iowa’s 89-82 win over the Nittany Lions, contributing to the Hawkeyes’ highest scoring output in State College since 1955.

Wieskamp’s emergence has helped Iowa to a 16-3 record, which matches its best start to a season under head coach Fran McCaffery (2015-16).