Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson wins John Mackey Award

T.J. Hockenson continued his stretch of postseason accolades with a big one.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson walks back onto the field after an incomplete pass during Iowa’s game against Illinois at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, IL, on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini 63-0.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson kept his award streak going Wednesday, winning the 2018 John Mackey Award, which is given to the top tight end in the nation.

Hockenson is the second Hawkeye to win the award, following in the footsteps of Dallas Clark, who earned the honor in 2002. In addition to the winners, Tony Moeaki (2009), Allen Reisner (2010), and Noah Fant (2018) have all finished as semifinalists for the award.

A native of Chariton, Iowa, Hockenson has already been named the Kwalick-Clark Big Ten Tight End of the Year and won the Ozzie Newsome Award, which is also given to the country’s best tight end.

Hockenson led Iowa this season with 46 receptions and 717 yards while ranking second on the team with 6 touchdown catches. He also ran for a score against Penn State on Oct. 27.

Iowa is now one of two schools – along with Arkansas – to have to winners of the Mackey Award, and Hockenson is the first sophomore to pick up the honor.

Hockenson has now hauled in 70 passes for 1,037 yards and 9 touchdowns in his career. His 9 scores rank seventh among tight ends in Hawkeye football history.

The award will be presented Thursday in Atlanta as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Red Carpet Show.