Northwestern overcomes adversity to win West

Nebraska heats up, while the race for the Big Ten narrows to three.

David Harmantas

Northwestern linebacker Blake Gallagher #51 celebrates after a game against Northwestern University on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018 at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes 14-10. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

As the sound of basketballs and Christmas carols grow louder, the college-football season comes down to the wire.

Now, with just under two weeks left until the season finale, the Big Ten picture is taking its final form. Northwestern clinched the Big Ten West after a big win at Kinnick Stadium, and wins for Michigan and Ohio State consolidated the race in the East down to those two teams.

Here is a look at some of the major storylines heading into the final chapter of the Big Ten season.

Nebraska gets hot

Just a few short weeks ago, the Huskers were the laughingstock of the Big Ten. They had started 0-6, and it seemed as if they couldn’t do anything right.

Now, Nebraska has won three out of its last four games, with its only loss being a 5-point defeat at Ohio State.

The offense has stepped up for Nebraska, scoring at least 30 points in five-straight games after failing to do it once in the first five.

For the Huskers, the turnaround has been about patience and attention to detail.

“We had a long way to go when we started,” Nebraska head coach Scott Frost said after the win over Illinois. “The team is starting to care about the little things and see how the little things lead to big things.”

RELATED: Iowa football looks to improve run while getting back to the basics

Northwestern gets the West

It’s fitting that the Wildcats would win this year’s wild Big Ten West race, which is just what they did with a 14-10 victory over Iowa.

This is Northwestern’s first time with any share of the Big Ten championship since they tied for first in 2000.

For Northwestern, it’s been an up-and-down year. It lost all three of its nonconference games but has made it count in Big Ten play, going 6-1, with its only loss being by 3 points to Michigan.

“This team has overcome a ton of adversity,” Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald said after beating Iowa. “We got beat up. We had a bunch of injuries, lost some tough games there. The brotherhood in that locker room is the glue that kept everything together.”

Ohio State vs. Michigan looms large

With no big games scheduled for this week, it’s only natural to look ahead, especially when it’s Michigan vs. Ohio State.

That is the game that, barring an Ohio State loss this week, will decide who plays Northwestern in the Big Ten Championship game.

The winner will also have the best chance at representing the Big Ten in the college-football playoffs.

While fans might be waiting with bated breath for Nov. 24, both teams are trying not to get ahead of themselves.

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh said it is “probably a good idea.”

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer had a similar message.

“I had a chat with them,” he said. “Our guys are very intelligent players here, but they know what’s in store.”