Rettig, Heiden take up roles in Johnson County Supervisors

Democrats maintain their hold of the Johnson County Board of Supervisors, as Republican contender Phil Hemingway gets just 31 percent of the vote.

Johnson+County+Board+of+Supervisors+Member+Janelle+Rettig+watches+election+returns+during+an+election+night+watch+party+at+Big+Grove+Brewery+in+Iowa+City+on+Tuesday%2C+Nov.+6%2C+2018.+

David Harmantas

Johnson County Board of Supervisors Member Janelle Rettig watches election returns during an election night watch party at Big Grove Brewery in Iowa City on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018.

With most results in, Democrats Janelle Rettig and Pat Heiden won election to the Johnson County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday, beating Republican Phil Hemingway for two seats on the five-member board.

Incumbent Rettig has received 62 percent of the vote and newcomer Heiden got 57 percent

Hemingway received 31 percent of the vote.

The election came just 10 days after the death of supervisor Kurt Friese on Oct. 26. Friese’s seat on the board was not up for grabs in the election.

Roman Slabach
Pat Heiden talks to supporters at Big Grove in Iowa City on Nov. 6, 2018.

Rettig and Heiden garnered the most votes in the Democratic primary in June. Current Supervisor Mike Carberry came in third in the primary and did not appear on the ballot in November.

Hemingway, the only Republican candidate, is an Iowa City School Board member. He was nominated by the Johnson County Republicans in August.

The candidates ran on many of the same issues. Mental-health concerns and environmental protections were top priorities for all three candidates.

Rettig’s victory marks her third term on the Board of Supervisors. Previously as a supervisor, she voted to create community IDs and raise the minimum wage. In her third term, Rettig’s priorities include affordable housing, improved infrastructure, and sustainability.