UISG releases Renter’s Guide

The UISG 2018-2019 Renter’s Guide compiled student survey results about off-campus housing, including experiences with landlords, leases, and security deposits.

UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Photo Illustration by Lily Smith

Photo Illustration by Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Photo Illustration by Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Photo Illustration by Lily Smith

Katie Ann McCarver, News Reporter

The UI Student Government 2018-19 Renters’ Guide was released this week, revealing the results of a survey administered to students about their off-campus housing experience in an effort to aid students’ decisions about when and where to live off-campus.

The survey, distributed last spring, inquired about students’ experiences during the 2017-18 school year. The guide will allow students to compare landlords and property management companies when making decisions about their future housing.

“We’re not saying one landlord is better than the other,” UISG City Liaison Gustave Stewart said. “The idea is that we gather information to relay back to students and put pressure on landlords to improve quality issues.”

RELATED: UI considers on-campus living requirement for sophomores.

Among other results, students who responded to the survey revealed that more than 50 percent of off-campus apartments or houses believed their unit was not clean when they moved in.

“Generally speaking, students living off-campus in Iowa City say that it is generally expensive and might not be the best quality,” Stewart said. “This can be a tool to landlords just as much as students.”

In terms of commitment to off-campus housing, 51 percent of respondents signed their lease November or before, more than a year prior to their move-in date.

“That’s a highly dense number of students,” Stewart said. “One thing that surprised me is just how much the time to sign leases is getting pushed further and further back.”

He emphasized that a major issue in off-campus housing is accessibility to recycling and whether landlords provide bins for residents. According to the Renters’ Guide, 24 percent of housing had recycling, 22 percent had only cardboard recycling, and 48 percent had none.

Recycling, like many other complaints by off-campus residents, was part of a bigger issue. This required UISG to coordinate with an off-campus student advisory committee to collaborate and determine what issues should be included in the Renters’ Guide.

“There’s a lot of advising and counseling when things don’t go well with the landlords,” Student Legal Services Director Christopher Malloy said. “We approached the Renters’ Guide from that end and brainstormed what kind of questions to ask.”

Not included in the guide was the number of students who did not see the return of their security deposits or a copy of their leases.

“We see issues where students, they have not done anything,” Malloy said. “No security deposit, no statement. Every fall, there are students who have disputes with their landlords’ deductions from their deposits.”

In response to the number of students signing their leases a year before moving in, Malloy said it is not unusual for properties to be rented sooner rather than later. Nevertheless, there could be negative effects for students who try to predict where they will be in 10 months.

Administered through social media, mass emails, and student organizations, the Renters’ Guide is also available online. Ultimately, UISG hopes to make the tool available annually for students seeking off-campus housing.

“A really big part of this is just getting a lay of the land and seeing what the Iowa City housing market looks like,” said Austin Wu, UISG deputy city liaison. “I think a lot of students learn the hard way when they sign a lease their freshman year. Having that information on their side is really important.”

Katie Ann McCarver, News Reporter

Katie Ann McCarver is a news reporter at The Daily Iowan, covering higher education. She is a freshman at the UI double-majoring...

Lily Smith, Visual Arts Director

Lily Smith is the Visual Arts Director at the DI. She is a junior journalism student from Des Moines, Iowa. She has worked at the DI since January of 2017,...

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Football

George Kittle named to NFL Pro Bowl

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Iowa basketball’s Cordell Pemsl undergoes season-ending surgery

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Hawkeye football’s Nate Stanley won’t seek NFL feedback

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Iowa women’s hoops crushes Northern Iowa for second in-state win

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Hawkeyes display defensive dominance in win over Panthers

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Tyler Cook and Company coast in Des Moines

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Breaking News

4 UI fraternities lose registered student org status, 6 on probation

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Football

Iowa football report card: Quarterbacks

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

Downtown

Freddy’s and Panera Bread comes to the Old Capitol Town Center, Office of Sustainability moves out

• UISG releases Renter’s Guide

UI gamers hope to develop new varsity collegiate eSport at Iowa