Iowa spoils Minnesota’s Homecoming, 48-31

Iowa’s offense had little rust after the bye week, propelling the Hawkeyes to a victory in Minneapolis.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson scores on a fake field goal during Iowa’s game against Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday, October 6, 2018.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

MINNEAPOLIS — The Floyd of Rosedale will stay in the Hawkeye football complex for at least one more season.

The Hawkeyes took down the Gophers, 48-31, to earn win No. 4 of 2018 on Oct. 6, and Minnesota continues its search for its first conference win of the year.

Iowa struggled to get things going in the rushing department, but the passing game spoiled Minnesota’s Homecoming. Nate Stanley finished 23-for-39 for 314 yards, with 4 touchdowns and 1 interception.

The Hawkeyes’ most creative play came in the first half when Kirk Ferentz dialed up a fake field goal. The long snapper pitched the ball to tight end T.J. Hockenson, who carried it into the end zone, putting the Hawkeyes up, 21-7.

Defensively, the Hawkeyes allowed the second-most points this season but clamped down in the second half. In the first half, Minnesota scored 17 points, the second touchdown coming after a Hawkeye turnover deep in their red zone. Defensive lineman Anthony Nelson recorded 3 sacks, tying his career best (all of which came in the first quarter).

Questions surrounded the Hawkeyes secondary after Michael Ojemudia and Matt Hankins, Iowa’s usual starting cornerbacks, did not start. True freshmen Riley Moss and Julius Brents got the nod instead, and, after a shaky start, they delivered. Moss snagged 2 interceptions, and Brents added another.

Now, Iowa turns its attention to Indiana. The Hawkeyes and Hoosiers will square off at 11 a.m. Oct. 13.