Iowa men’s golf disqualified at Marquette Intercollegiate

The Hawkeyes were in contention for first, but fell out of the race after an injury and misinterpretation of the rules.

Iowas+Matthew+Walker+lines+up+a+putt+during+a+tournament+at+the+Donald+Ross+Course+at+the+Cedar+Rapids+Country+Club+in+Cedar+Rapids+on+Tuesday%2C+Sept.+19%2C+2017.+

Joseph Cress

Iowa’s Matthew Walker lines up a putt during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017.

Jess Westendorf, Sports Reporter

The Iowa men’s golf team wrapped up tournament play Tuesday at the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills, Wisconsin, but the Hawkeyes didn’t leave with a trophy in hand.

The team was unable to post a team score in Tuesday’s final round because it was disqualified during Monday’s second round. Iowa was sitting in the No. 2 spot on Monday until the team was unable to post four scores.

“We are extremely disappointed with [Monday’s] outcome,” head coach Tyler Stith said in a release. “It doesn’t change the fact we performed brilliantly in extremely tough conditions. In our minds, we are still trying to win tomorrow. We won’t go home with a trophy, but we are playing to be our best.”

On top of being disqualified, Iowa lost two valuable assets. Junior Matthew Walker had to withdraw from tournament play after an injury on the front nine forced him to retire for the remainder of the competition.

Freshman Gonzalo Leal Montero was disqualified on the back nine after a misinterpretation of the rules occurred.

RELATED: Iowa women’s golf wins at home

Montero, who was in second place, led the Hawkeyes on the individual leaderboard before his disqualification.

On Sept. 18, Montero wrapped up an impressive performance in the Golfweek Conference Challenge, tying for fifth.

After losing Walker and Montero, Iowa only had five golfers left to finish the tournament on Tuesday.

Redshirt junior Alex Moorman rounded out the third round with an even score of 72, tied for 10th. The finish marks his first in the top 10 for this season.

Next on the leaderboard was junior Benton Weinberg tying for 21st with a score of 220 (4-over).

Following Weinberg was junior Alex Schaake. After carding four birdies and a third round score of 73 (1-over), the Nebraska native came in tied for 25th place. Schaake finished with an overall score of 221 (5-over).

One could say that he is no stranger to a top-25 finish. Schaake has finished 25th or better in each of the three tournaments he has competed in this season.

Senior Aaron DeNucci finished the third round with score of 235 (19-over) to tie for 64th, rounding out the leaderboard for Iowa. DeNucci posted an 80 (8-over) in the final round.

Montero finished out the tournament, but did not receive an overall score. He shot a 71 (1-under) during the third and final round.

Looking ahead at the rest of the season Iowa only has two more tournaments (the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Classic and the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate in Dallas) before the fall slate concludes.

Iowa placed third at the Gopher Invitational at the beginning of September and second at the Golfweek Conference Challenge, the team’s home tournament.

After this finish, the Hawkeyes will look to bounce back at the Notre Dame event, which will take place at the Warren Golf Course in South Bend, Indiana, on Oct. 7-8.