Hawkeye tennis athlete travels great distances to go pro

Sophomore Ashleigh Jacobs has traveled from Canada and all over the United States to find her home as a Hawkeye.

Cody Smith, Sports Reporter

Iowa women’s tennis sophomore Ashleigh Jacobs traveled 1,697 miles to pursue her dream of becoming a professional tennis player.

Before becoming a Hawkeye, Jacobs dominated her competition in Alberta, Canada. Playing in her hometown, Jacobs came to the U.S. after winning four International Tennis Federation titles, one in singles play and three in doubles. Additionally, she also comes in as a medalist, winning silver at the 2017 Canada Summer Games as well as taking home gold in the Western Canada Summer Games in 2015.

“I think when most people get good playing tennis in Canada, they either go pro or come to the States for college tennis,” Jacobs said. “A lot of my older friends ended up doing that, so that’s what made me comfortable with my decision.”

Following her decision to come to the U.S., Jacobs decided to play her freshman season at Gonzaga, where she posted a 6-3 record in singles and a 12-9 record in doubles. After finishing her first season as a college athlete, she took some time to ponder and ultimately decided that the tennis and coaching staff at Gonzaga were not the best fit for her.

Deciding to realign her future, she reached Iowa women’s tennis head coach Sasha Schmid via email. Following that, the two had a long talk on the phone, which ultimately persuaded Jacobs to continue her tennis career as a Hawkeye.

“I talked to the coaches here, and that was a big factor in my coming here,” Jacobs said. “They were really supportive, which made me feel comfortable.”

Now, playing as part of the Iowa roster, Jacobs plans to take her tennis to the next level. Getting her first year under her belt in the U.S., she believes she can transfer her experiences from playing at Gonzaga to being a Hawkeye.

RELATED: Iowa women’s tennis has a new squad to rebuild the team

Although the team doesn’t officially get the season started until Oct. 12, when the Hawkeyes host the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Central Regionals, she eyes improving. Right now, she is confident hitting the heavy ball because of her strength, and she is comfortable with her serve and forehand. Instead of working on her strengths this offseason, she focused on her agility and movement up and down to court, so she can fulfill her goal of becoming a key contributor in the lineup this season.

The Hawkeyes lost a lot of veteran leadership from last season, making Jacobs one of the most experienced players. Now, she is excited to see how this team can compete in the Big Ten.

“I think everyone is super excited to be here,” she said. “We really just want to work hard and see where we end up in the Big Ten.”

Eager about the Hawkeyes hosting the Central Regionals this fall, Jacobs aims to use her playing time to further her career.