Hawkeye women golfers excited, optimistic about upcoming season

Strong chemistry and an optimistic attitude will drive familiar faces on the women’s golf team.

Iowa+golfer+Kristin+Glesne+swings+for+a+portrait+at+the+Hoak+Practice+Facility+at+the+Finkbine+Gold+Course+on+Thursday%2C+Sept.+14%2C+2017.+

Joseph Cress

Iowa golfer Kristin Glesne swings for a portrait at the Hoak Practice Facility at the Finkbine Gold Course on Thursday, Sept. 14, 2017.

Jack McFarland, Sports Reporter

Golf is back. Those three words are the most important words any golf fan can hear. The Hawkeye women’s golf team is just about ready for its season-opener Sept. 10-11 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, at the Branch Law Firm Invitational.

This is the first opportunity for the team to showcase how it has progressed from last season. Last season, the Hawkeyes competed in the same invitational, landing in seventh of 18 after Day 1 and tying for seventh after Day 2.

Familiar faces in a familiar event should make for a strong performance. The Hawkeyes return seniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne, both of whom are the team captains this season.

Juniors Sophia Liu and Sarah Overton, who performed well for the Hawkeyes last year, will also return. Sophomores Rachel Fujitani and Stephanie Herzog will try to build on their solid freshman campaigns and continue to contribute to the team effort.

Fujitani says the captains are the catalysts in holding the team together.

“I see a lot of strengths in our team this season,” she said. “We have two very strong captains, Shawn and Kristin, who are great role models for our team. Our team as a whole is working very well together, and we continue to push each other to be the best we can be, so I am very excited to see us grow as the season continues and as we continue to work hard.”

No team is perfect, and Fujitani recognizes this.

“We tend to be indecisive at times, which can create some doubt, but as long as we work on being more decisive in our shot selection and how we play this season, I know we will improve,” she said.

Optimism is infectious, spreading through a team like wildfire. The feeling coming into this first invitational is one that the team would love to keep for the entire season.
Rennegarbe was also optimistic when looking ahead.

“We have put a lot of time and effort into preparing for this season — on the course, conditioning, and in the weight room,” she said. “It will be very fun to come out this weekend and have fun as a team together as we make our début.”

Glense realizes it is early to give long-winded answers about the team, but she believes the squad has the framework for success.

“It’s early in the season, but we already have really good team chemistry,” she said. “Even though golf is a very individual sport, it’s really important to know that your teammates have your back. We already feel like a family in the short amount of time we’ve been together.”

Men’s golf update

After Round 1 of the Gopher Invitational on Sept. 9, the Iowa men’s golf team sits in third place, tied with Michigan State and Arkansas with a score of 288.

Alex Schaake and Alex Moorman shot 71. Senior Matthew Walker and freshman Gonzalo Leal shot 73, with junior Benton Weinberg right behind, shooting a 74.

The Hawkeyes will conclude the invitational Sept. 10.