Business Leaders in Christ reinstated on campus after discrimination complaint

FILE - The Old Capitol is shown on Monday, July 25, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/file)

A Christian student organization removed from the University of Iowa’s list of recognized campus organization last year for discrimination has been reinstated.

Business Leaders in Christ was removed in late 2017, when the UI found merit in a complaint lodged against the organization by then-sophomore Marcus Miller. He said he filed a discrimination complaint on Feb. 20, after the group offered had revoked a leadership position for him upon finding out he was gay.

RELATED: UI expels Christian student club over leadership requirement

There is still pending litigation on this case, and federal district court has ordered the UI to maintain the organization’s status as a registered student organization until its conclusion, UI Strategic Communication Media Relations Director Anne Bassett said.

“The university respects the decision of the court but will not comment on the merits of the case per its policy on pending litigation,” the UI said in a statement.

RELATED: Christian student organization temporarily reinstated in fight with University of Iowa

The UI has 525 registered student organizations, including the 54 fraternities and sororities. All student organizations must have a constitution, which includes a human-rights clause stating, ”In no aspect of its programs shall there be any difference in the treatment of persons on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex ​… pregnancy, disability, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran, service in the U.S. military, sexual orientation, gender identity, associational preferences, or any other classification which would deprive the person of consideration as an individual. The organization will guarantee that equal opportunity and equal access to membership, programming, facilities, and benefits shall be open to all persons.”

— Brooklyn Draisey

• Business Leaders in Christ reinstated on campus after discrimination complaint

Updated approval process makes it easier to use drones on campus

UI’s tobacco ban difficult to enforce as students continue to smoke on campus

Homecoming Council strives for inclusivity through new initiatives

Second of 4 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean candidates holds forum

UI Gardeners group seeks donors in light of budget cuts

Students, faculty members, and community members rally to save UI Labor Center

UI uses $1.6 million in grants to focus on humanities research

UI earns 4 out of 5 stars for LGBTQ friendliness

Researchers examine drivers’ understanding of vehicle safety systems

UIHC surgeons operate on patients in need in Honduras