Graduating twins Alyssa and Olivia Ray recount their times at the University of Iowa

Jordan Prochnow, [email protected]

To many Hawkeyes, the University of Iowa can feel like a second home. For twins and graduating seniors Olivia and Alyssa Ray, the idea takes on a whole new meaning.

The Ray twins were conceived through in vitro fertilization at University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics because of fertility struggles with their parents. The twins, both chemistry and biochemistry majors, began working for the Women’s Health Tissue Repository in 2015. On a visit, their father recognized that the lab was, in fact, the same lab in which the twins were conceived.

“It was surprising when we first found out that this was the lab where we were conceived,” Alyssa Ray said. “It was a total coincidence, but I think it really gave me a new perspective. This lab gave me life. I think what we are researching now can save lives, also.”

“I loved telling my friends that I would not be alive without science, so going into the medical field seemed like a no-brainer,” Olivia Ray said.

They both said they found working with each other to be extremely meaningful, and their relationship helped them find balance among school, research, and personal life.

“Research and school can be very difficult, and it is nice to know that someone is going through the exact same thing,” Alyssa Ray said.

Olivia Ray said working in the lab with her sister cemented her desire to work in the medical field.

“It definitely solidified the fact that I wanted to have a career in medicine,” she said. “I thought that at first I may enjoy the academic challenge of becoming a researcher, but I soon discovered that I really enjoyed personal interactions with patients.”

Outside of working in the lab, Olivia Ray is also part of Be the Match, signing up donors for the national donor registry program, and she volunteers at the UIHC in the Intensive Care Unit.

“I really loved talking to people and making them feel better if there was no family there to support them,” Olivia Ray said.

While working at the lab, Alyssa Ray said she was inspired to pursue medicine as a career as well. She had never been exposed to medical research but quickly found a passion in the subject. She was able to go to the hospital and collect samples for the Maternal Fetal Tissue Bank, which sparked an interest in obstetrics and gynecology for her to help people with infertility problems.

“Infertility is a difficult process with many ups and downs,” she said. “I think the most important thing is to be empathetic to those who have infertility. [In vitro] is not always successful.”

After graduation, the twins will take separate paths to continue their education. Olivia Ray will attend Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, and Alyssa Ray will venture to Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.

While both cite working in medical research at UI as forming their college experiences, Alyssa Ray said memories made outside of the lab or class affected her the most.

Jordan Prochnow, News Reporter

Jordan Prochnow is a digital producer and news reporter covering health and hospitals at The Daily Iowan. She is a sophomore at the UI majoring in creative writing and minoring in criminology, law, and justice, with a certificate in resilience and trauma-informed perspectives.

• Graduating twins Alyssa and Olivia Ray recount their times at the University of Iowa

Goddard holds forum as third dean candidate for College of Liberal Arts & Sciences position

UI-led study discusses brain marker associated with aggression in children

The roots for students to flourish: After 50 years, Afro House remains necessary

Hawkeye football superfans show front row pride

UI facilities assess, prepare for climate change

USA Today names the UI as a university where ‘applications are on the rise’

Nite Ride improves service with new advancements

Updated approval process makes it easier to use drones on campus

UI’s tobacco ban difficult to enforce as students continue to smoke on campus

Homecoming Council strives for inclusivity through new initiatives