University of Iowa Dance Marathon goes green to increase sustainability efforts

Jordan Prochow, [email protected]

The color green has an important meaning to University of Iowa Dance Marathon, but on April 27, green took a new form for volunteers. As spring touches Iowa City, the organization added its own personal touch to the campus greenery.

Dance Marathon members planted the first of 25 trees on the west side of the Pentacrest in an effort to further the goal of becoming a carbon-neutral organization and honor the 25th year of the Big Event. The organization partnered with the Office of Sustainability, Facilities Management, and Landscape Services to set this project in motion; the tree is located near Halsey Hall and the IMU.

“We wanted to bring awareness to sustainability in our organization, because we are actively trying to engage our members in our sustainability efforts,” Dance Marathon Operations Director Hannah Lembke said. “There are many ways that we can make conscious choices about our impact on this Earth, and the tree planting was a celebration of keeping those choices in mind.”

Dance Marathon aims to become a more carbon-neutral organization, as sustainability becomes an increasing priority. Some goals include increasing sustainability awareness, developing and improving partnerships with businesses that also promote sustainable practices, and using more recycled and sustainable materials throughout events and programming.

• University of Iowa Dance Marathon goes green to increase sustainability efforts

UI Gardeners group seeks donors in light of budget cuts

Students, faculty members, and community members rally to save UI Labor Center

UI uses $1.6 million in grants to focus on humanities research

UI earns 4 out of 5 stars for LGBTQ friendliness

Researchers examine drivers’ understanding of vehicle safety systems

UIHC surgeons operate on patients in need in Honduras

Fresh Check Day aims to lessen the stigma about mental health

UI president discusses fraternity suspensions, safety on campus

UI professor awarded $1 million research grant in quantum computing

116 flags raised for international students at a time when the population’s enrollment is on a decline