University of Iowa Dance Marathon goes green to increase sustainability efforts

Jordan Prochow, [email protected]

The color green has an important meaning to University of Iowa Dance Marathon, but on April 27, green took a new form for volunteers. As spring touches Iowa City, the organization added its own personal touch to the campus greenery.

Dance Marathon members planted the first of 25 trees on the west side of the Pentacrest in an effort to further the goal of becoming a carbon-neutral organization and honor the 25th year of the Big Event. The organization partnered with the Office of Sustainability, Facilities Management, and Landscape Services to set this project in motion; the tree is located near Halsey Hall and the IMU.

“We wanted to bring awareness to sustainability in our organization, because we are actively trying to engage our members in our sustainability efforts,” Dance Marathon Operations Director Hannah Lembke said. “There are many ways that we can make conscious choices about our impact on this Earth, and the tree planting was a celebration of keeping those choices in mind.”

Dance Marathon aims to become a more carbon-neutral organization, as sustainability becomes an increasing priority. Some goals include increasing sustainability awareness, developing and improving partnerships with businesses that also promote sustainable practices, and using more recycled and sustainable materials throughout events and programming.

• University of Iowa Dance Marathon goes green to increase sustainability efforts

UI Ph.D. student fell 500 feet to his death in Utah, authorities say

UI Ph.D. student found dead in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park

UI finance students receive a new financial collaboration lab

UISG, GPSG oppose new bill to end on-campus voting

UI Ph.D. student reported missing in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park

Second associate VP for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion candidate visits UI

Diversity Catalyst Award given to faculty, staff, students

UI faculty group petitions to pool sick-leave dates into a communal bank

UI grad student breaks dissertation boundaries

Faculty Senate makes recommendations to external-relations office