Track and field wraps up regular season at Notre Dame

Iowa’s top athletes didn’t compete this weekend to avoid injuries ahead of the Big Ten Championships, but the Hawkeyes still looked strong in their final regular-season meet.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben A
Iowa’s Mallory King competes during the annual Black and Gold Intrasquad Meet at the UI Recreation Building on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2017. The Hawkeyes will host the next meet on January 13. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa track and field team traveled to Notre Dame for the Alex Wilson Invitational on Feb. 17. The meet marked the team’s last competition before the Big Ten championships on Feb. 23 and Feb. 24.

Some of Iowa’s top performers sat out to rest and avoid injury before the Big Ten championships, but the Hawkeyes still drew strong performances from those who did compete.

Raymonte Dow took home the 400 meters with a time of 48.43 seconds, a personal best.

Three other athletes also ran personal bests in the 400 meters at the invitational, including Mallory King (56.01 seconds), Addie Swanson (56.97 seconds), and Lindsay Welker (1:00.85).

In the 800 meters, Kevin Docherty and Macie Weber set personal bests, with times of 1:53.31 and 2:16.64, respectively.

Madison Waymire set a personal best in the mile with a time of 4:57.23.

The Hawkeye men set a school record in the distance medley relay with a time of 9:33.9, beating the former record by more than ten seconds.

The relay was run by sophomore Nathan Mylenek (1,200 meters), sophomore Collin Hofacker (400 meters), senior Carter Lilly (800 meters), and senior Michael Melchert (1,600 meters).

The team finished 10th in the event.

If nothing else, the aforementioned performances are a boost of morale for the entire team heading into the biggest weekend of the season.

The Hawkeyes currently lead the Big Ten in five events: Briana Guillory in the 200 Meters (23.26), Mar’yea Harris in the 400 Meters (45.95), Chris Douglas in the 60 Meter Hurdles (7.76), Jahisha Thomas in the triple jump (13.11 meters), and the men’s 4×400 meter relay (3:06.06).

Guillory, Harris, and the men’s 4×400 relay are all in the top 10 in the NCAA as well.

According to the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, the women came into the weekend ranked 38th in the nation and fifth in the Midwest region. The men were ranked 41st nationally and second in the region.

Next weekend the team will head to Geneva, Ohio for the Big Ten championships. Director of Track and Field Joey Woody and many of the team’s prominent athletes have expressed their ability and desire to win the Big Tens this year. At last year’s indoor Big Ten Championships, the men placed sixth and the women placed tenth.

This team’s chances to improve their ranking in the conference will rely on a comprehensive effort from the entire team.

“My expectations for the team are high,” thrower Laulauga Tausaga said. “I want us to be able to score in every event and fight for that Big Ten title on the women’s and men’s side. I also believe that we’ve been seeing that it’s completely possible for us to improve our national ranking.”

Harris is just as hungry as Tausaga for Big Tens. Hes sat out at the Alex Wilson Invitational in preparation for what he hopes is a Big Ten championship.

Anything less than a first place finish for Harris would be a disappointment.

“I feel good,” he said. “I’m about to run something nasty.”

If Harris performs nasty enough by his definition, it will be a highly unpleasant weekend for the rest of the field.