Swimmers, divers perform strong to begin 2018

Iowa faced off against Notre Dame and Illinois and swam to a strong finish to begin the bulk of its season.

Swimmers leap off the starting blocks during a swim meet between Iowa and Michigan State inside the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Natatorium on Thursday, September 8, 2017. The Hawkeyes opened their 100th season of swim and dive. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Shivansh Ahuja

Shivansh Ahuja

Shivansh Ahuja

The Iowa swimming and diving team had some mixed results in its first meet following a break in competition.

The women’s team emerged victorious against Illinois, 198-102, but fell to No. 22 Notre Dame. The men’s team also lost to the No. 20 Fighting Irish, 187-113.

On Jan. 13, the men’s team came up with two wins. Joe Myhre took home the first, posting a victory in the 100 free (44.45). The 400-free relay team of Myhre, Will Scott, Matt Kamin, and Jack Smith raced ahead of Notre Dame in the final stretch to touch in first at 2:57.99.

The women’s team recorded three runner-up finishes on Saturday. Two came from Hannah Burvill in the 500 free (5:00.52) and the 1,000 free (10:12.01). Kelly McNamara finished second in the 100 fly, touching at 1:52.09.

On Jan. 12, the swimming team won three out of five events.

In the men’s 200-free relay, Michal Brzus, Smith, Scott, and Myhre finished in 1:20.20 for first. In the 400-medley relay, Kenneth Mende, Daniel Swanepoel, Jerzy Twarowski, and Smith touched at 3:17.51.

For the women, Carly O’Brien won the 100 individual medley in 57.65.

Facebook Comments