Community responds to aid fellow Hawkeye back to good health

After suffering a life-threatening accident, the UI community comes together to help a student recover.
UYzJtk8XqaDMC3xvNDPqxSf2iQrVIDWm

“We were pretty shocked — we found out Monday [Oct. 2] at 8 a.m., and I had a test that day. I thought about him the whole time … it was just a regular Sunday night; we didn’t expect anything like this.”

University of Iowa senior Tyler Kromkowski said this “regular Sunday night” had life-threatening consequences for longtime friend Kevin Orozco.

Orozco, a UI student who was involved in an accident on the night of Oct. 1, was rushed to the UI Hospitals and Clinics in critical condition — a fractured skull, fractures on his C1, C3, C4, C5, and C6 vertebrae in his neck, torn ligaments on the back of his neck, a shattered patella, and fractured toes.

Kromkowski described Orozco as “outgoing” and someone “everyone gets along well with;” this amiability, however, was washed-out waves of pain after his accident.

“Kevin has the kindest heart and is loved by many. He is strong, compassionate, and has maintained such a positive attitude throughout this entire experience,” the GoFundMe pages states.

The air of suffering, although still present, was diminished through the crowd-sourcing website GoFundMe.com.

Orozco friend UI student Anders Bjerkness started the campaign on Oct. 9, only a few days after the accident and while his condition was still precarious.

The goal of the campaign was to raise $10,000 for Orozco’s medical expenses — as of Monday, 173 people had donated $9,400.

“I felt like it was something that needed to be done,” Bjerkness said. “There were people who donated [large amounts of money,] but it was great to see people giving $20 to $30. We also received so many texts and calls wishing for Kevin’s health.”

These positive reactions from the UI community were echoed by Kromkowski, who said the GoFundMe campaign raised around $3,000 within its first five hours.

The Iowa soccer team, which donated to Orozco’s campaign, commented, “You are in our thoughts and prayers, Kevin. Stay strong!” on the crowd-sourcing website.

Kromkowski said that although he had heard of the website before, it was different see the campaign’s effect firsthand.

“We were surprised by the community’s reaction — [the feeling] is definitely different when you’re in that situation,” Kromkowski said.

After spending nine days in the hospital, Orozco returned home. According to an update on the campaign’s website, he plans on beginning outpatient therapy in the next two weeks.

Orozco’s friend Johnny Burns said he wishes for his continued healing.

“I’ve been talking to [Orozco] a little bit … he really sounds like he wants to get back out here to Iowa – I’m just excited for that to start,” Burns said.

Orozco’s mother, Stacey Christenson, shared her gratitude for the community’s support of the campaign’s page, along with a picture of Orozco walking outside. Although he remains in a cast and neck brace, Christenson said, he gets better every day.