In Their Own Words: UI students discuss Boy Scouts accepting girls

MCT
Boy Scout Pascal Tessier talks on the phone with reporters after hearing the announcement that the Boy Scouts of America passed a resolution allowing scouts that are openly gay into their ranks. He is at the Scout for Equality command post at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, Texas, on Thursday, May 23, 2013. Tessier is a life scout who was unable to finish his eagle scout unless the resolution passed. (Brad Loper/Dallas Morning News/MCT)

The Boy Scouts of America recently announced that it will allow girls to join the organization so all children, regardless of gender, have the opportunity to become disciplined and develop leadership skills. Leaders of the Girl Scouts have criticized this, saying the all-female environment it offers is important for young girls. What is your opinion on this decision?

Andrew McLean

junior, from Scotland

“I don’t know anything about the Boy Scouts of America.”

Aurora Palmillas

UI student

“I’ve heard of it. I think it could be a good thing, but I have no idea what their reasoning is. I’m sure it’s something good and that’s going to be more inclusive for people. I’m just not sure what the exact aim of it was.”

Emma Baumgarten

UI junior

“I think it’s making a really big political statement in the current climate, and it’s also definitely undermining the idea of Girl Scouts. So if you’re talking about who does it empower and why, I think they’re trying to do it for the right reasons. But ultimately it’s going to bite them in the ass.”

Jasmine Putney

UI senior

“It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. I’m not totally sure why they did that, but I would think if the aim of the move is to be more inclusive of younger transgender children and people who may be unsure of their gender identity at such a young age, then it might be a good move on their part.”

Julian Sanchez

UI senior

“I think it definitely is a great thing, because there are definitely children who don’t conform to norms or gender roles. I think having that option for children is a great thing.”