GoFundMe and more helps remember UI freshman

Cv7yPAp4dJ6uEmf17aTsf3o0goUZ63yW
Contributed photo via Kamil Jackowski GoFundMe https://www.gofundme.com/kamils-funeral-cost

By Daily Iowan staff 

UPDATE (1:24pm): A petition to retire his high school football jersey, #1, has been circulating social media. Jackowski attended John Hersey High School in Arlington Heights, Illinois, a Northwest suburb of Chicago.

Within an hour of being created, the page had over 300 signatures.

In light of Jackowski’s death, University of Iowa FSL released a statement announcing a ban on all out-of-town formals and on-campus events with alcohol.

UPDATE (2:30pm): Camden County Sheriff’s Lt. Arlyne Page told the Daily Herald Jackowski was found unresponsive shortly before 7 a.m. Sunday in a room at Camden on the Lake Resort in Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri.

The Daily Herald reported Page said emergency responders were called by another guest staying in the same room, and CPR was performed at the scene. He was then taken to Lake Regional Hospital in Osage Beach, Missouri. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Page told the Daily Herald a determination on the cause of death will come after an autopsy scheduled Monday afternoon and likely toxicology reports.

A GoFundMe page has been established for a University of Iowa freshman who died Sunday morning.Kamil Jackowski was found Sunday morning at Sigma Chi’s formal at Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri.

Lake Ozark Fire Protection confirmed the department responded to an emergency call around 7:15 a.m. at Camden on the Lake Resort. The department could not confirm where responders took the body.

The GoFundMe page was started Sunday morning and shared numerous times on Facebook. The fundraising goal originally posted was $10,000; the page had raised $30,276 by 770 people by the time of publication.

According to the GoFundMe page, “Kamil was a warm hearted and caring brother and son. He was an extremely hard worker and always kept a smile on his face, cracking jokes, making faces, and making those around him smile. He was a brilliant kid that had such a bright future. Unfortunately, he was taken too soon.”

Jackowski is from Arlington Heights, Illinois.

UI sophomore Annie Korff, a family friend of Jackowski, said he was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity and was celebrating a “first great year with his friends” at their formal over the weekend.

She said Jackowski’s best attribute was his attitude and his smile.

“I think his best attribute was how happy he always was and his ability to make anyone feel happy and feel important,” she said over Facebook messenger Sunday night. “Part of this was definitely his smile. His smile lit up every single room he stepped into.

“He was an unbelievable person and such a bright light in so many people’s hearts.

“He was the sunshine in every room and made each person feel so important whenever interacted with. He loved life and showed other people how to love life, too, especially with his laugh, personality, and handsome smile. Being able to call him a friend and an intelligent young man is and always will be a blessing.

“He deserves nothing less than a wonderful celebration of his life and the countless amazing memories that so many have of him.”

Jackowski has an older brother who also attends the UI. Korff said Kamil Jackowski was a great son and friend to his brothers.

“You’d see pictures of the three of them and be able to do nothing but smile,” she said. “He was so dedicated to anything he immersed himself in, whether that be his sports in high school, his academics, or even a friendship.

“He without a doubt has left a lasting impression on every person that he has ever met, and will forever be loved in our hearts and forgotten never.”

UI freshman Delaney Parker said Jackowski was one of her best friends.

“Knowing him will always be an honor,” she said over Facebook messenger. “He always made sure everyone was having a good time and brightened up everyone’s day. His precious smile and loving personality will always and forever be missed.”

Jeneane Beck, assistant vice president for External Relations, emailed a statement about the incident to The Daily Iowan on Sunday night.

“The University of Iowa was informed that Kamil Jackowski died this weekend while attending a fraternity formal at the Lake of the Ozarks. Our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time,” the statement read.

Camden on the Lake declined to comment and could not confirm the incident. Camden is an upscale resort located on 2359 Bittersweet Road, Lake Ozark, Missouri.

The cause of death has not been confirmed at this time.

If you would like to share a memory of Kamil Jackowski, email [email protected]