Identity confirmed of freshman who died Saturday

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
UIPD vehicles are seen outside Daum Residence Hall late night on Saturday, April 8, 2017. Police responded to a call of an unresponsive male. UI student Sean Wu was found intoxicated and unresponsive in his room, he later died at the hospital. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

University of Iowa student Sean Wu died on April 8, UI officials confirmed Monday.

The University of Iowa police received a report of a male found intoxicated and unresponsive at 10:44 p.m. April 8 in Daum Residence Hall.

UI police arrived at the scene at 10:47 p.m., and Wu was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police were called to the scene after a caller alerted officers that Wu had been drinking that night.

According to UI officials, witnesses said Wu had “suddenly tensed up, as if he was having a seizure and collapsed.”

The incident is under investigation, and no further information is available at this time. Wu’s family has requested privacy.

A memorial page has been set up on Facebook for family and friends to reflect on Wu’s life:

If students need support, the university encourages them to reach out to the University Counseling Service and Student Care & Assistance.

University Counseling Service: 319-335-7294

Student Care & Assistance: 319-335-1162