UI wins award for vehicle-safety announcement

The UI and National Safety Council partner to win PR award for education campaign on new vehicle safety technologies

By Jack Berning

The University of Iowa and the National Safety council partnered in 2015 to launch the “MyCarDoesWhat” public-service announcement, intended to educate drivers on the basic and advanced safety technologies of the vehicles they own.

The National Safety Council is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to save lives by preventing injuries and deaths at work, at home, and on the roads.

Vehicle-safety researchers in the Public Policy division at the UI have researched automotive safety strategies for more than 20 years, working at the intersection of safety technology, and public policy.

“It is very much a partnership,” project manager Ashley McDonald said. “The entire division of Public Policy at the university contributes to the research, and the National Safety Council helps to reach a wide audience.”

The public-srevice announcement is an engaging animated video that educates drivers about the importance of understanding their vehicle’s safety technologies and how to use those safety features correctly.

The programs area of research includes human factors and behavior, advanced vehicular safety technologies, distracted driving, teen driving, and crash analysis.

“There has been a proliferation of technologies in the most recent model years and more recently in intro level cars that college students can afford,” said UI Associate Professor Daniel McGehee, the principal investigator. “Knowing how these safety technologies work will make driving safer by preventing crashes altogether or making them less severe.”

“I upgraded to a newer model car this summer with graduation coming up,” UI senior Wesley Rose said. “I never knew my car had so many safety features; it just allows for more peace of mind on the road.”

The vehicle-safety announcement is the first of its kind, and it was honored with a Platinum PR award for Public Service Announcement on Oct. 21.

The Platinum PR Awards recognize the year’s most outstanding communicators, initiatives and organizations in the competitive PR arena.

“We want to continue to get the word out about new, beneficial technologies vehicles can provide on the roadways,” McDonald said. “And we are very excited and honored to receive the award.”

• UI wins award for vehicle-safety announcement

Methamphetamine: Iowa’s most resilient crop

UI’s 2020 initiative to bring in ‘big ideas’ met barriers, report says

Downtown

Customer service, quality contribute to business longevity, owners say

UI study finds link between high death rate and poor neighborhood conditions

UI Hospitals & Clinics

UIHC focuses on treating cancer with Vitamin C

DITV

DITV News: Living Learning Communities

Crime/Courts

Blotter: Dec. 10

New Living Learning Community to provide support for first-generation students

Downtown

Iowa City grows after 10 years as City of Literature

UI research leads to possible treatment for diabetes, fibrosis