Women’s golf finishes 14th

By Jess Westendorf

The Iowa women’s golf team wrapped up tournament play at the GolfWeek Conference Challenge in Vail, Colorado, on Wednesday.

The Hawkeyes recorded a tournament score of 915 (51-over) to land a 14th-place finish. San Diego State took the title with a final score of 866 (2-over), with Denver and Pepperdine tied for second with a score of 784 (20-over).

Sophie Liu shone for the Hawkeyes. In the third round, she shot a 72 (even par) that helped secure a final score of 223 (7-over). Liu sunk seven birdies throughout tournament play, including one on 14 and one on 17 in the third round. She ended in a tie for 33rd with Stacey White from Campbell University.

“Sophie had a solid week and continues to gain some confidence each time out,” said head coach Megan Menzel in a release. “It’s great to see her have her low round as a Hawkeye.”

Juniors Jessica Ip and Elisa Suarez tied for 63rd overall. They both finished the tournament with three-round scores of 231 (15-over). Ip shot a third-round 81, and Suarez finished at 79.

Senior Jessie Sindlinger recorded a 79 on Wednesday in the third round. She had a final tournament score of 236 and two birdies on holes 14 and 15 to give her a tie for 75th with Napaphan Phongpaiboon (Toledo) and Sally Fridstrom (Central Arkansas).

Sophomore Shawn Rennegarbe made her Hawkeye début at the Challenge, and the Illinois native finished the tournament at 237 (21-over) with round scores of 76, 85, and 76 to give her a tie for 78th. She added a birdie on 3 and an eagle on 15.

Rennegarbe joined the Hawkeyes this fall as a transfer from Arkansas.

The Hawkeyes will now shift their attention to the Greenville Regional Preview in Greenville, North Carolina, Oct. 17-18.