Letter to the editor

Hawkeyes, it’s on us

Today is the last day of the University of Iowa Student Government’s inaugural “It’s on Us Welcome Week.” The It’s on Us campaign centers on the idea that we all have a role to play in fostering a safe campus culture and combating sexual violence. Members of UISG have spent the past five days working to raise awareness about campus sexual assault through It’s on Us with the ultimate goal of eradicating sexual assault from our campus.

Many people have asked, “Why a Welcome Week?” Well, the answer is simple and sobering. Research shows that students are most likely to experience sexual assault in their first six weeks of college, during a time known as the “Red Zone.” Our goal was to raise awareness for sexual assault prevention and bystander intervention during the most critical time of the year.

Over the course of the week, hundreds of UI students took the pledge online, many signed It’s on Us posters during tabling events, and others asserted their support for the movement via social media. Students who took the pledge committed to: 1) recognizing that non-consensual sex is sexual assault, 2) identifying situations in which sexual assault may occur, 3) intervening in situations where consent has not or cannot be given, and 4) creating an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported. Students are encouraged to continue taking the pledge at itsonus.org.

This summer, Stanford University made national headlines because of the Brock Turner rape case. The national press surrounding this incident brought campus sexual assault to the forefront of public consciousness once again. We must confront the difficult reality that sexual assault continues to be an issue that plagues college campuses, and the University of Iowa is no exception.

While our Welcome Week is nearly over, our action cannot stop here. UISG calls on all UI students to continue to speak out against sexual violence on our campus. To be part of the solution, join us in: obtaining affirmative consent, empowering survivors, holding your friends accountable, condemning victim-blaming, and eliminating rape culture. Students can, and must, be the leaders on this issue. No university policy or campus plan will make a difference alone. Instead, It’s on Us, all of us, to be part of the solution.

If you or a friend has experienced sexual assault, please visit the UI Office of Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator’s website for a comprehensive list of resources.

— UISG