Unanswered questions remain in Delta Chi balcony fall incident

Tom Jorgensen/University of iowa
FILE – The University of Iowa campus looking west from Old Capitol and the Pentacrest.

Many questions remain unanswered after the University of Iowa fraternity Delta Chi’s formal occurred this past weekend and resulted in two UI students falling off a balcony and being rushed to a local hospital. The students’ conditions cannot be confirmed at this time.

Officials — including Director of Student Life Bill Nelson, Associate Director of Student Life Anita Cory, and Coordinator for Fraternity and Sorority Life Erin McHale — said they have not launched a formal investigation and have not conducted any interviews, though they have had “multiple conversations” with “multiple students.”

Officials declined to comment on how many students they had these conversations with, saying they did not understand why The Daily Iowan Editor-in-Chief needed to know such information.

Nelson, Cory, and McHale said jointly that they are gathering facts about the “incident” but would not further elaborate on those efforts, referring to those “conversations” they were having with various student leaders from the organizations. These “conversations” were the only response when asked about how the UI was researching the “incident.”

Instead, the three UI officials repeated that as they work through the “incident,” they are dedicated to offering resources and having an “ongoing conversation of support and information sharing.” In an email post-interview (the only method of communication in which the officials will continue to answer questions from the DI) they said the UI has been in contact with the families, alumni, advisers, and national organizations.