2 UI students injured in Missouri fall

Tom Jorgensen/University of iowa
FILE – The University of Iowa campus looking west from Old Capitol and the Pentacrest.

By DI Staff

Two University of Iowa students were taken to a Missouri hospital after falling from a balcony during the UI fraternity Delta Chi’s spring formal.

Deputy Trenton Teubner of the Camden County Sheriff’s Department responded to a call at the Shady Gators, a rental place in the Lake of the Ozarks where Delta Chi held its formal, late on April 22. Two students, identified by attendees as Hannah Van Soelen and Mackenzie Wollenzien, fell from a two-story balcony. Their current conditions are unclear.

When authorities arrived at the scene, they reported that roughly 40 to 50 people were “real scared” and “upset” with each other. Soelen and Wollenzian were cared for at the scene before being transported to Lake Regional Hospital.

“UI officials are working to learn more about the incident in order to assist the students and their families,” UI spokeswoman Jeneane Beck wrote in an email Sunday night.

Members from the UI Delta Chi declined to comment, as did the UI Interfraternity Council.

The UI isn’t the first university to have students suffer after falling from balconies. A 20-year-old man died after falling six stories off a balcony at the University of Florida in February. In June 2015, a balcony collapse killed six students in Berkeley.