Golf travels to LA

The golf team will continue its spring season with a trip to Los Angeles for the Southwestern Jones Invitational today and Tuesday.

The event will start with two rounds of 36 holes and will continue with a final round of 18 holes. All three rounds will be played at the North Ranch Country Club.

The field includes five teams ranked in the top 50: USC (11), San Diego State (23), Oregon (28), tournament host Pepperdine (35), and Augusta (37).

The rest of the field includes Boise State, BYU, Fresno State, Lipscomb, Mississippi State, Northwestern, Sam Houston State, San Diego, and Winthrop.

The Hawkeye lineup is set with junior Carson Schaake followed by senior Nate Yankovich, freshman Matthew Walker, senior Voromate Aussarassakorn, and junior Raymond Knoll.

The last time out, the Hawkeyes finished eighth at the Big Ten Match Play Championship on Feb. 12-13. Iowa defeated Nebraska but lost to Purdue and Michigan in the second and third rounds.

The Hawkeyes faced the Wolverines again in the seventh-place match. The teams tied, 3-3, but Michigan was declared the winner because it beat Iowa the first time. Walker led the Hawkeyes with a perfect 4-0-0 record. He was one of six golfers to finish undefeated at the two-day event.

Yankovich and Schaake led the Hawkeyes in the fall season averaging 72.92 strokes per round. Knoll has had his share of success, too. He was Iowa’s top finisher twice in the fall season.

Yankovich, Schaake, and the rest of the Hawkeyes hope to get the season back on a positive note.

— by Connor Sindberg