UniversiTEES to close

Peter Kim
Customers visit Universitees, Old Capitol Town Center, on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016. Universitees is having big sale before they close. They will be closing when the product runs out or when their lease ends at March 31, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/Peter Kim)

Fourteen years after UniversiTEES started making University of Iowa gear, its location in the Old Capitol Town Center will close.

According to a press release given by T.I.S. marketing manager Stacey Isom, UniversiTEES “enjoys the students and alumni, but with the increased local competition and the saturation of online vendors, sales have declined over the past five years to a level where it is no longer profitable for us to operate in the Iowa market.”

Earlier on in the year, another store selling Hawkeye apparel shuttered its doors. Game Day Iowa, which was opened in 1990, also closed in Coralville.

UniversiTEES will continue to sell UI apparel but only online. Its store location in the mall will stay open until it runs out of product or its lease expires, on March 31. Until then, sales are happening with $5 T-shirts and the rest of the store 75 percent off.

UI freshman Sia Tortorelis was a customer at the store on Wednesday but only because of the sale.

“Because it’s closing down, everything is really cheap,” she said. “I’ll probably get something for my brothers. But otherwise, I would never come here; I won’t really notice when it’s gone.”

Kevin Digmann, the manager of mall, declined to comment on what might fill the soon-to-be vacant space.

In recent months, the mall has welcomed new businesses, including Ichiban and I Love Pho.

“We worked together to find a replacement because they wanted to get out,” Digmann said. “We never seem to have a short demand for space.”

He also is not completely sure what a new store will bring in terms of revenue for the mall.