Swimmers finish 11th at Big Tens

Women swimmers dives into the water to start the free swim at the Iowa Senior Meet in CRWC on Friday, Feb. 7, 2014. The Hawkeyes defeated Western Ill. 107-80. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Despite finishing the weekend with a handful of school records, the Iowa women’s swimming and diving team ended up in 11th place at the Big Ten Championships in Ann Arbor, Michigan, this past weekend, scoring 365.5 points.

The total team score for the Hawkeyes was the highest since 1986, but it was still nearly 1,000 points behind Big Ten champion Michigan, which scored 1,361 points during the four-day competition.

Junior Emma Sougstad carried most of the load for the Hawkeyes at the meet, breaking four school records.

Sougstad twice swam to a program record in the 100 breaststroke, finishing in 59.50 during preliminaries to qualify for “A” finals and resetting the record in the finals, swimming 59.22 to finish fourth.

Sougstad cemented herself as the best breaststroke swimmer in school history when she broke the 200-breast record during the “A” final of the event, finishing in 2:10.81, good enough for sixth place.

The Forest City native’s third individual school record of the weekend came in the 200 individual medley. Sougstad swam to a 1:57.62 finish in prelims to qualify for “A” finals, where she placed in a tie for sixth.

The quartet of sophomore Meghan Lavelle, Sougstad, freshman Kelly McNamara, and senior Olivia Kabacinski swam to a school record in the 400-medley relay with a time of 3:36.72. The Hawkeye relay finished seventh in the event.

Lavelle earned herself a tie for an individual school record in the 100-backstroke, swimming the 53.63 mark in the first leg of the 400-medley relay.

Junior diver Calli Head finished the platform dive in third place and tied sophomore Tereysa Lehnertz’s school record score of 312.20.

The Hawkeye divers will be back in action on March 7 at the NCAA Zone D Diving Championships; the NCAA Swimming Championships are set to begin on March 17.

— by Blake Dowson