Traveling with laughter

(University of Iowa)

For those who frequented Nickelodeon in the 1990s, Kel Mitchell’s will be a familiar face. He appeared on “All That” and “Kenan and Kel” with Kenan Thompson of “Saturday Night Live.” He’s also starred in films such as Good Burger and Mystery Men.

Today at 10 p.m., Mitchell will perform his standup act in the Macbride Auditorium.

Daily Iowan: Most college students are likely to know you best from Nickelodeon shows. How much do you hope for or anticipate that knowledge? Is that reflected at all in your standup material?

Mitchell: I currently have a new show on Nickelodeon called “Game Shakers,” but I do know my fans love my past and current projects. I am happy to have longevity in making people laugh, and I love it when people say, “Kel, you were a big part of my childhood.” So of course I give them some old-school Nickelodeon in my show. When you get crowds coming to your shows holding orange soda bottles like I do, you got to give them some throwback Nick.

DI: What do you think is unique about your voice as a comedian?

Mitchell: I’m very-high energy and physical on stage. I like to have fun with the crowd and involve them in the show.

DI: When did you start pursuing standup?

Mitchell: I have been MC’ing events for many years, and I always throw jokes in between. But as far as hitting the comedy clubs and doing standup full out on stage, almost three years now.

Click here to check out a photo slideshow.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 3.59.19 PM

DI: What do you think makes good comedy?

Mitchell: It depends on the comic. I’m more of a storyteller; I feel that real stories people can relate to and laugh about with you always rock, but every comic is different.

DI: Where would you like to see your comedy go? Are there any particular kinds of projects you’d like to take on in the future?

Mitchell: I just enjoy making folks laugh, and I do have some cool surprises coming up regarding my standup.

DI: Is there anything you want audiences to be thinking about or feeling after watching one of your performances?

Mitchell: Happy. That is what I want people to feel: pure happiness.
Event: Kel Mitchell Standup Act
Where: Macbride Auditorium
When: 10 p.m. today
Admission: $10-$15