Women’s hoops itching for a win

Women’s hoops itching for a win

Women’s hoops itching for a win

By Mario Williams

The last time the Hawkeyes won a game was two weeks ago in Madison, Wisconsin, and the team sorely needs to get back on the winning track when it faces Michigan on Thursday in Carver-Hawkeye.

the Hawks head coach Lisa Bluder started the team’s weekly news conference with just a few words: “We need to get back on the winning trail.”

“[Michigan’s] a very explosive offensive team,” Bluder said. “Obviously, we know we have a challenge, but I really believe that our team is going to have a great practice today, some good fire, and some good fight.”

If Iowa have success, it’ll be a big win for them for various reasons. The most imperative being they’ll finally go back to winning on their home court.

Iowa’s main goal prior to the 2015-16 campaign was to keep its 25-home court-winning streak alive. That was broken by a loss against No. 8 Maryland and then Penn State.

“We just need to get a win,” Bluder said. “I don’t care where it happens. I don’t care if it happens on Mars right now. Winning just covers up a lot of aches and pains.

“It’s special to play at home. It’s what you want to do for your fans.”

Defending the Wolverines

Iowa has had many issues defending most of its conference opponents, and Michigan brings in another powerful offense.

The Wolverines average 81.5 points per game, while Iowa averages 73.0 points per game. Just as Bluder stated, Michigan is known for its explosive offensive. The Wolverines are quick, they’re fast, and they play smart basketball.

Most of their success on offense is due to sophomore Katelynn Flaherty; the 5-7 guard averages 22.3 points per game. That leads all scorers on both teams. Flaherty is also tied for fourth place in the Big Ten in scoring.

The guard can take step-back 3-pointers, can get to the rim, and also can create contact, which leads to free throws.

Iowa will need to be able to stop her from way downtown and also if she makes her way into the lane.

“We really need to keep up the defense,” Iowa freshman Megan Gustafson. “That’s going to be they key for this game. We need to keep up the intensity.”

Buttenham stepping up

Sophomore Christina Buttenham set a career-high in Iowa’s loss against Purdue; the forward came off the bench for 27 minutes and scored 14 points.

Bluder classified her effort as one of the best of her Hawkeye career, thus far.

“She just played loose,” Bluder said. “She played like a fighter, and I just loved it. I’m really excited about Christina’s growth and I want to see her continue that on Thursday night.”

There’s a chance that Buttenham could definitely see more playing time in the contest against the Wolverines. The forward noted that while playing solid defense will be key to a win, lowering turnovers will also be important.

“We just need to take our time,” Buttenham said. “I think we need to not rush on offense and just be sure of passes. We need to make sure we have that pass there and pass it.’