Iowa’s changing caucus landscape 

Jace Brady

This week has significantly changed the political landscape in Iowa, as the first-in-the-nation caucuses grow ever nearer. Several important endorsements were made, accusations by state leaders were levied, and comments from all candidates have darkened in tone. Many of these events may have been game-changers in the state, and, depending on their impact on the caucuses, may have brought the primary season to an early end.

On Jan. 19, Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad got the ball rolling with a rare anti-endorsement from an Iowa governor. Historically, governors stay neutral during the primary season, but Branstad came out strongly against Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. While he did not suggest an alternative, the popular governor accused Cruz of being a “big oil” candidate and said “it would be a big mistake for Iowa to support him.” These statements are a reaction to Cruz’s opposition to subsidies including those for ethanol. The senator argues that the government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers through subsidies.

The fun continued on Jan. 20, when former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin endorsed Donald Trump. She toted his private-sector bona fides, exclaiming, “He is from the private sector, not a politician. Can I get a hallelujah?” during her endorsement speech. Many consider Palin’s endorsement inconsequential, but she still holds clout among tea-party conservatives. Furthermore, her endorsement was one Cruz has hoped to garner after her strong support for his senatorial candidacy in Texas.

In the frenzy after the Palin endorsement, Cruz was able to gain some support from longtime supporter and national talk-show host Glenn Beck. Beck joined Cruz on several campaign stops this past weekend and gave an official endorsement on Jan. 23. In his speech, Beck said, “I have prayed for the next George Washington,” and referring to Cruz, “I believe I have found him.” Beck has been very outspoken on his radio show in his opposition to Donald Trump and in his endorsement speech said a Trump victory in Iowa would be a “snowball to hell.”

One final twist in the caucus plot this week was the Des Moines Register’s endorsement of Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla. Rubio has been trailing far behind in the polls but hopes to remain competitive in the state. In its headline, the Register argues that Rubio could “chart a new direction for the GOP.” While this endorsement will likely make little difference in the outcome of the race, Rubio is likely grateful for any traction he can get in Iowa.

All of these events combined have drastically changed the direction of the caucuses, and candidates have reacted accordingly. Trump has continued his “no one likes Ted” campaign, and Cruz has stepped up the rhetoric against Trump. While it seems Trump and Cruz have parried move for move, this week seems to have been in Trump’s favor. The most recent polling, conducted by Fox News, shows Trump has taken a sizable lead over Cruz in Iowa, 34 percent to 23 percent. Many commentators have narrowed the Republican nomination race down to Trump and Cruz and now wonder if Cruz can’t win Iowa, is the nomination Trump’s for the taking?