Green-Douglass sweeps special vote

Lisa Green-Douglass will be the newest Johnson County supervisor.

By Madeline Murphy Smith

Lisa Green-Douglass, a North Liberty resident and Spanish-language trainer, became the newest member of the Johnson County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday night.

Green-Douglass, a Democrat, ran against independent candidate Chris Hoffman in a bid to fill the place of former Johnson County Supervisor Terrence Neuzil.

According to county data, Green-Douglass won the election with 2,015 votes, or 61 percent. Hoffman captured 1,263 votes, or 38 percent. Write-in candidates garnered 17 votes; 58 Johnson County precincts voted.

Green-Douglass said she ran because she enjoys government and jobs involving budgets and making policies. She said she credits hard work her win.

She said she plans to bring her strong communication skills to the job.

“I’m good at seeing people through a common ground, which will be needed to get anything done,” she said.

Green-Douglass said she expects a learning curve because no one goes into the job knowing everything about it. Nevertheless, she looks forward to making an impact in the Johnson County community.

“I enjoy the part of knowing that certain things that are done on the board can help people,” she said.

Hoffman said he didn’t have any advice for Green-Douglass for fear it would be misconstrued. However, he expressed pride over the support he’s received throughout his campaign as a candidate with no party affiliation.

“A number of conversations have been amazing as a no-party candidate in a Democratic county,” he said.

Hoffman, who is a member of the North Liberty City Council, said he didn’t know whether he will run again because it takes a lot of ground game and support from a large number of people.

“That was one thing I wasn’t able to get together,” he said. “We’ll see in the coming months.”

Johnson County Supervisor Mike Carberry said it takes a lot of guts to run for public office, and he thanked Hoffman for running. 

Carberry said he wanted to congratulate Green-Douglass on her win and recognize she has been continually engaged in Johnson County’s political issues, such as the supervisors’ work on the Johnson County minimum wage.

Carberry is the newest supervisor, which means he understands some of the difficulties Green-Douglass will face in the upcoming weeks as she adjusts to her new position.

“I’ve been on nearly a year and understand the steep learning curve, so I’d have her get a lot of rest, drink a lot of coffee, and get ready for the learning curve,” he said.