Rose Bowl: Highlights from Ferentz’s press conference

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz gets interviewed after the Iowa-Illinois State game in Kinnick on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Redbirds, 31-14. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz speaks with the media each Tuesday during the football season. Every week, The Daily Iowan‘s Pregame staff will post highlights and interesting quotes and lines from Ferentz’s press conference.

By Danny Payne

LOS ANGELES — Kirk Ferentz, Dodd Trophy winner, is ready to speak. His first word is: I. He didn’t do an opening statement, so we didn’t get a hello or welcome. Or OK.

• Ferentz said he stands at every conference because that’s what he does when he goes to work every day. “I have a hard time getting out of a chair anymore, I’m getting old.”
  • On Iowa’s seniors, who have never won a bowl game: “It’s one more thing on the list … These guys are determined, I know they want to close out their careers on a high note; I know Stanford’s guys feel the same way.”
  • “Whether you’re playing at Augusta or the British Open or in the Rose Bowl, you have to block out the noise at some point.”
  • On injuries, Ferentz said there are a few guys nicked up, but he thinks everyone has a good chance to play.
  • Ferentz was asked a question from someone on his left-hand side. Said he had no idea where the reporter was because of the lights, looked away from the reporter the entire time. Good stuff.
  • On the environnment in the Rose Bowl: I’m guessing it’ll be similar to what we encountered in Indianapolis. “I don’t know how many folks were in there, but it felt like a home game.”
  • “When we go shopping, we don’t get to the gourmet store … we don’t get to pick the guys my sister would say are good football players.” Cites Bob Sanders as an example, said he may not have been tall enough to get on the best roller coaster at Disney World.