The Long & long of it 

Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard runs from Wisconsin linebackers at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Badgers, 10-6. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

The Daily Iowan spoke with Chuck Long, the most famous Iowa quarterback to play in the Rose Bowl.

By Jordan Hansen   |   [email protected]

Chuck Long is, of course, one of the hallowed names in Iowa football history.

His greatest season, 1985-86, saw him win both the Maxwell and Davey O’Brien Awards, the only player in Iowa’s history to win both in the same year. Long was also the runner-up to Bo Jackson in the Heisman race that season, an award he fell short of by 45 points, the smallest margin in history.

At the end of that season, the 10-1 Hawkeyes were picked to play in the Rose Bowl against UCLA.

It wasn’t the last time Iowa’s played in the Rose Bowl — that honor goes to 1990-91 team — but it was one of the most significant. The Iowa squad during Long’s year was arguably Hayden Fry’s best team and spent five weeks ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll.

After a disappointing loss in that Rose Bowl (marked by suspicions about Ronnie Harmon’s four fumbles), Long was selected in the first-round of the 1986 draft at No. 12 by the Detroit Lions. After his six-year professional football career was over, he became an assistant coach at Iowa and Oklahoma before taking over as the head coach of San Diego State in 2006.

Now, Long is an analyst for the Big Ten Network and has been the CEO of the Iowa Sports Foundation since 2014.

The Daily Iowan: When you first heard Iowa was headed back to the Rose Bowl, what went through your mind?

Chuck Long: I was elated — 30 years ago, this year, we had a great team, got to play in the Rose Bowl. It’s kind of neat that it’s a 30-year anniversary. It was also the last time Kirk Ferentz was there as well.

I loved the Hawkeyes’ season. They came out of nowhere, just were low going into the year and now with the undefeated season and playing in the Rose Bowl. Just a tremendous effort by that staff and team.

It was great they still got to go to the Rose Bowl even after losing in the Big Ten Championship. Obviously, the Rose Bowl committee saw them as a marquee team and brought them out there.

DI: Speaking of Ferentz, do you have any specific memories of him at the Rose Bowl?

Long: He’s always been a great preparation coach; the offensive line was always prepared and was in both of those Rose Bowls (due to since-changed rule, Long was able to play a few snaps in the 1982 Rose Bowl as a redshirt-freshman).

He was always one to roll up his sleeves and go to work. I do know as the starting quarterback that in 1985, that offensive line was prepared for that game.

DI: As you stepped off the bus and made the walk to the field, what’s the feeling like, knowing you’re about to play in a Rose Bowl?

Long: It’s hard to describe, but it starts with ride to the stadium from the hotel.

You get on the freeway, and you’re really high above the valley. You can see the Rose Bowl down in the valley from the freeway, and that’s when it hits you — you go “wow.” It’s a majestic setting, usually a beautiful day.

The first time you see it, your heart starts to really beat. You go down into stadium, get in there, and it’s just bigger than life when you roll up to it.

You start to realize how traditional it is, how majestic it is, and how special the Rose Bowl really is.

DI: That 1985-86 team you were on really was something really special. Have you noticed any striking similarities between this year’s team and that one?

Long: These are two similar teams, though not in expectations. We had a lot of expectations in ’85 going in, and this team did not.

That’s really the difference, in terms of expectations, but very similar in team chemistry, work ethic, and how we went about our business in getting there. Very similar that way.

DI: You won the Maxwell and Davey O’Brien Awards that year, finished second in the Heisman; what did all that recognition mean to you?

Long: Those awards were very meaningful to me. Those are rare to achieve, and it’s really the culmination of a team effort. You don’t win those awards unless you have a great team effort and a lot of help around you, which I did.

That’s the way I’ve always looked at them — as a team-effort award — and I just happened to be the recipient who represented our team. They’re very special and awards that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

DI: After your college-football days, you obviously went to the NFL. What were your impressions of the league?

Long: It was very businesslike. College is a lot more fun; you’re all in it together, and nobody was getting paid. In the NFL, everyone’s getting paid different amounts, and it’s honestly like a survival mode [laughs] in the NFL.

You’re just trying to survive and try to get four-years, try to get vested. It’s very rare you can play a long time, and it goes by really quickly, Jordan. All the sudden you’re in your 30s.

DI: You had a lot of success coaching at Oklahoma, including a national championship and a Rose Bowl victory. What are the biggest changes from playing a big game like that to coaching in one?

Long: When you’re playing in one, the only thing you have to worry about is getting yourself ready to play. In coaching, you have to get others ready to play. You have to make sure they understand the game plan and have to make sure they can execute it.

I got as much jubilation, if not more, from coaching. I love seeing the light turn on in young men and watch them be successful and execute the plan. I really enjoyed that part.

DI: A bit more about your coaching career, is it something you’re still looking to get back into?

Long: No, I’m good with what I’m doing right now.

DI: Speaking about that, you were named the CEO and executive director of the Iowa Sports Foundation; do you want to speak a bit more about that?

Long: Sure, basically we promote health and wellness in sports and recreation to all Iowans; that’s what we do.

DI: What got you into that?

Long: They approached be about a year ago, and it was a good fit for me. That’s why I took the job, just a great fit. I’m all about what they stand for, and it was an easy decision for me.

DI: You know, you’ve done a bit of work for the Big Ten Network; how did that happen, and how do you feel like it’s gone?

Long: I love it. It helps keep my toe in the game of football, I get a chance to not just watch or coach one team, but I get to see a bunch of them. It’s fun to see what the dynamics are and how other schools run their programs.

And, you know, I really enjoy covering things on TV. It’s been a really exciting year for me, and I just really love commenting on football.

DI: Just a guess, but I’m assuming you’re headed to Pasadena to watch the Rose Bowl?

Long: I’m actually working for the Big Ten Network during the game. Not calling the game, but working around the game. So, yes, I will be at the Rose Bowl.