Men’s, women’s swimming flounder

A group of Iowa swimmers cool down after doing laps after media day at the CRWC on Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2014. The swimming team opens there season at home this Friday hosting Michigan and Nebraska. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Blake Dowson & Jake Mosbach
[email protected] & [email protected]

The Iowa men’s swimming team took a beating on the road this past weekend against Purdue, losing 188-112.
“Congratulations to Purdue for out-performing us in the pool and on the boards tonight,” head coach Marc Long said in a release. “We had some great individual efforts and wins, but in the end it wasn’t enough as a team. We’re eager to get better and perform better the next opportunity we get.”

The Hawkeyes managed only four wins on the night against the Boilermakers, two coming from redshirt freshmen Kenneth Mende and two from sophomore Jerzy Twarowski.

Mende brought home the title in the 100 and 200 backstroke.

Twarowski rounded out the winning for the Hawkeyes with a victory in the 100 fly in 48.50 and in the 200 fly in 1:49.28.

Freshman Ben Colin was the Hawkeyes’ best distance performer, posting two top-three finishes in the 1,000 free and 500 free. He posted season bests in both events, finishing the 1,000 free in 9:36.75 and the 500 free in 4:35.06.

The 200-medley relay team, comprising of three of the four swimmers on the 400-medley team that has the fourth fastest time in the country (3:15.96), finished second against Purdue in a time of 1:30.07.

The Hawkeyes had a strong showing on the 1-meter springboard. They placed four in the top five, with freshman Will Brenner placing second with a score of 331.20.

Iowa now has a month off before it competes again in the Hawkeye Invitational on Dec. 4-6.

The Hawkeye women also struggled against the Boilermakers, suffering a 179-117 defeat.

The loss is Iowa’s second in a row, bringing its season record to 3-2, 1-2 Big Ten.

The Hawkeyes started the meet off on the right foot with Allie Orvis, Kelly McNamara, Olivia Kabacinski, and Emma Sougstad taking the victory in the 200 medley relay, touching in 1:42:52.

Sougstad earned victories in the 100 individual medley and the 200 breaststroke, touching in 57.38 and 2:16:43respectively.

McNamara, a freshman, continued to impress observers as she took second in the 100 fly (54.89). Fellow freshman Abbey Schneider grabbed a runner-up finish in the 500 free event, touching in 4:59:50.

Kabacinski kept scoring points, taking second in the 50 free (23.79) and earning third in the 100 free (52.41) and 200 free (1:51.10).

In the diving well, sophomore Morgan Rafferty led the way scoring a team-best third-place in the 3-meter. She earned fourth-place in the 1-meter as well.

The Hawks will take nearly a monthlong break before returning to the water again.  They’ll host the Hawkeye Invitational in the Campus Recreaton & Wellness Center Natatorium Dec. 4-6.

Follow @B_Dows4 and @RealJakeMosbach on Twitter for Iowa swimming news, updates, and analysis.