Steinmetz leads pack in survey

Steinmetz leads pack in survey

Rainy Tuesday on the University of Iowa campus. Old Capital on October 14th, 2014.(DailyIowan/AnnaKilzer)

Joseph Steinmetz leads survey while Bruce Harreld falters.

The results are in — just one day before the state Board of Regents selects a new University of Iowa president.

The UI Chapter of the American Association of University Professors staged a survey for UI faculty, staff, students, and community members to gauge their thoughts on the four finalists to succeed Sally Mason as president.

The standout name is Ohio State University Provost Joseph Steinmetz. Virtually every respondent believed he is qualified to be president, and he ranked the most highly in every scored category (such as ability to secure funding and promote a shared vision).

About 94 percent of faculty and 76 percent of other respondents believe Tulane University Provost Michael Bernstein is qualified. Roughly 91 percent of faculty and 82 percent of others believe Oberlin College President Marvin Krislov fits the bill.

Business consultant Bruce Harreld stands out for a different reason: Virtually no one said he is qualified. He ranked the lowest by far in every scored category.

Some 379 faculty members and 171 others provided a response. The survey asked respondents about one candidate at a time, and Harreld received the most answers.

The regents are expected to interview and select the next president today.

The anonymous survey was informal and was created in response to concerns over the official survey, which the contracted firm Parker Executive Search conducted.

prez search gx

The UI Faculty Council — which was tasked with sending an evaluation of the candidates to the regents — and local legislators have received the full results.

The survey asked respondents to rank each candidate on a scale of one to seven in the following areas: articulating vision; overseeing budget; securing external funding; leading an academic institution; promoting a shared vision; working with government; establishing trust with the UI; and enhancing excellence.

Steinmetz ranked above 6 in all categories, while Harreld’s highest score was 2.50.

The rankings were following by a yes or no question: Is this person qualified to be president of the University of Iowa.

Respondents could also provide comments, which were not released.

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

UI takes step to partner with firm to maintain utility system

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

UI backtracks on paying Modern Piping, seeks documentation for work on Children’s Hospital

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

Regents approve new policy regarding freedom of expression

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

News

A DI photojournalist’s firsthand account of the Notre Dame fire

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

Iowa Baja shows off newest off-road vehicle for national competition in May

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

Faculty Forward cuts into regents’ meeting to protest, call for sick-leave bank

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

State Board of Regents approves University of Iowa residence-hall-rate increase

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

Multimedia

DITV Newscast: April 19, 2019

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

Regents consider UI’s request for M.S. degree termination

• Steinmetz leads pack in survey

Higher Education

State Board of Regents recommend approval of University of Iowa capital improvement