Feature: We break for winter

The end is nigh. Winter break is almost upon us — a full month of promising yourself you’ll do something productive tomorrow and knowing in your heart that’s a lie.

I’m here to hold you to that lie by giving you some suggestions of how to spend your time over break. And hey, if you happen to indulge in these diversions a little early to get you through finals week, that can be our little secret. 

NETFLIX GEMS

Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion

“Have a Romy and Michele Day” this break. Besides being downright hilarious in this 1997 film just added to Netflix, Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow will make you feel you’ve accomplished so much in your life that it’s totally fine to reward yourself with some casual movie viewing.

Nick Offerman: American Ham

“Parks and Recreation” may be ending (rest in peace, my beloved), but Nick Offerman isn’t going anywhere. In this 77-minute comedy show, Offerman, decked out in a button-down American-flag-print shirt, suggests The Hobbit be used to guide lawmakers and sings a song titled, “Jesus Take the Weed.”

It’s worth a gander just to hear him talk about his relationship with wife Megan Mullally. 

BOOKS

Now, some of us (me) had the brilliant idea to start reading the nearly 1,100-page Atlas Shrugged two weeks before classes began and have only managed to peruse 100 pages of the novel. Thus, some of us will be spending our (my) break attempting to finish the beast. Others may enjoy some less dense reading.

Gone Girl

If you haven’t already, you better read it now. The excuses “I haven’t had time” and “I keep meaning to” will not be accepted after everyone knows you just had four weeks without classes.

New Harry Potter stories

Though they aren’t technically books, when J.K. Rowling says anything about Harry Potter, the world listens. It seems Rowling is as reluctant to let go of Potter and friends as the rest of us, so starting Friday, she will release 12 new stories, one a day, of the magical world on Pottermore.com. It’s a holiday miracle … or Rowling just gives spectacular gifts.

NEW MOVIES

Into the Woods

All you need to do is look at the cast list for this musical film — which boasts such names as Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, Johnny Depp, and Anna Kendrick — and you will grab your keys to head to the theater. Into the Woods will be released on Dec. 25.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

The film actually comes out Dec.17, but, naturally, we hardworking students will wait until break officially begins to see one of the most anticipated movies of the year. Its earlier release date just means that as soon as you’ve watched (or rewatched) the first two films, the final instillation will be waiting.