Pediatric Associates to join UI Health Care

Families seeking children’s health services can now chose from a broader area of specialized care.

Pediatric Associates of Iowa City, 615 E. Jefferson St. and its parking lot at 605 E. Jefferson St., was purchased for $1.095 million.

The Coralville location, 2593 Holiday Road, and the building’s parking lot, 2591 Holiday Road, was purchased for $3.015 million.

The UI Health Care partnership will create better collaboration to create a more efficient experience, UI spokesman Tom Moore said.

Moore said Pediatric Associates will target patients who will need general primary care with minor injuries and illnesses and patients who need specialized treatments will be sent to the new facilities.  

“It’s a chance for two really great health-care organizations to band together to provide even better coordinated care for patients and families,” Moore said.  “They can make the transition to ongoing care very seamless for patients and families.”

Moore said the partnership will help prevent officials from backtracking and retaking medical tests every time a child changes offices.  He said records will be shared between offices to work together and ensure better communication between medical patients’ information history.

Stanley Hackbarth, a senior partner of Pediatric Associates, said the transition process would be “seamless” for patient transitions. 

“Pediatric Associates has had a long history and long relationship with the university and future Children’s Hospital,” he said. “With the rapid changes in health care and delivery, we think it will be a win-win situation for both primary and specialty care.”

Hackbarth said that in the past, Pediatric Associates has had strong relationships with physicians and officials at the UI Children’s Hospital; with an official alignment, they can think ahead and have stronger communication.  

Regent Robert Downer said this was a relationship that needed to be maintained from a variety of standpoints.

“It is increasingly important to maintain these relationships when the new Children’s Hospital comes online and the new value to patients this practice will have,” Downer said.  “This was a relationship that needed to be preserved.”  

Moore said the physicians will continue to work at their locations.

Hackbarth said the patients can stay with their regular pediatricians, the scheduling number will stay the same, and all major insurances will still be accepted.  

He said Mercy will still plan to have deliveries and have immediate care after births at Mercy, and only if the kids need specialized care will they transition to UI Health Care.  

“We are lucky to have two great hospitals where Mercy can take care of the simple illnesses, and the university can take care of the more serious injuries and care,” Hackbarth said.  “This is all to improve and preserve all access for all kids in eastern Iowa to quality pediatric care and the Children’s Hospital.”