Art benefits women’s health

Walter Edelman, a New York art dealer, will showcase and sell original art from artists Joshua Dean Wiley, Kimberly Brannon, Virgil Johnson, and Mary Buekat at the Mansion this week.

Visitors can view the art at the Mansion, 538 S. Gilbert St., today from 10 a.m. to 7p.m. or between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Friday, with complimentary hors d’oeuvre.

“A percentage of the proceeds from this event directly benefits UI Women’s Health,” said Amy O’Deen, the senior assistant director of the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. “The Mansion and UI Women’s Health forged this partnership two plus years ago in response to Edelman’s interest in supporting a high-quality local cause while selling this artwork.”

The annual event, now in its third year, has drawn in just shy of 100 people in the past. This year, the Mansion is hoping to see approximately 200 people coming out to support art and UI Women’s Health.

“It was initially the Mansions idea,” said Chuck Skaugstag, the owner of the Mansion. “It was looking for a cause it could benefit.”

While most of the art on display will be original pieces, there will be a number of more affordable prints of famous pieces from such artists as Picasso and Rembrandt.

“We display the art on tables for everyone to see while [Edelman] talks about the art and the artists,” said Emily Hughes, one of the interior designers who is helping organize the event. “If people see a piece they like but wants to change the colors or size to fit their space, [Edelman] contacts the artists and has them commission a custom piece.”

In each of the past two years, the event has brought in more than $5,000 for UI Women’s Health.

“These gifts are used to enhance the patient-care experience at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and to support health education programming for women,” O’Deen said. “UI Women’s Health is now affiliated with the Spirit of Women national network which offers a host of programs and communications to promote women’s health interests.”

— by Isaac Hamlet