Riverside Theatre’s monologue festival returns with ‘Too Much Information’

Exposed information and secrets can be found awkward and disturbing — or, surprisingly intriguing.

Embarrassing moments with too much information are the focus of this year’s annual original monologue festival at the Riverside Theater, 213 N. Gilbert St. Walking the Wire: Too Much Information will première at 7:30 p.m. Friday and run through March 10. Performances this weekend will also be 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. March 3. Tickets are $15 for youth and students, $25 to $28 for the general public.

Jody Hovland, the show’s artistic director, started working closely with six actors in late January to explore the theme “Too Much Information.” The theater received 232 monologues openly submitted by Sept. 14, 2012, from national and local writers from Pine Bush, N.Y., to Medford, Ore. After an extensive review process, 11 monologues that were both entertaining and fit the theme were chosen on Nov. 1, 2012.

“We look for excellence of writing, of course — a clear and compelling story with dramatic tension — and also look for diversity of ideas and tone,” Hovland said. “We also chose monologues of varying length so that the rhythm of the evening is varied.” 

Iowa Citian Janet Schlapkohl, who has performed many times at Riverside, will perform an autobiographical piece from a monologue she wrote, “Sex Ed.”

“One of my favorite things is sharing my stories with my family,” she said. “It is just hysterical talking about it over the phone and remembering these embarrassing things or events that happened. Then, when you perform and it goes well, you know it, because the audience laughs.”

Visit riversidetheatre.markupfactory.com/WTWtmi for a complete list of monologues, playwrights, and performers.